~3.2 - Diego~

I grit my teeth as the comb yanked harshly at my scalp. Every day, I combed my hair back just enough to get all the knots out of it. That simple task usually took up about ten seconds of my time. Not today. About an hour after replying to Karla's strange text about us being friends, I had decided to carry Grace back to her own room and get ready for school. However, I had forgotten about my sister's strange sleeping habit: half asleep in my arms, she had fiddled with my hair, her tired fingers tangling the earthy strands into a bird's nest. I chuckled softly, finishing combing out the last of my hair. She's the most adorable thing I will ever see in my entire life.

My phone buzzed on the dresser beside me. I had been ignoring Phyre's nonstop texts for the last hour—there was no point in indulging his stupidity with replies—but he hadn't sent anything in the last fifteen minutes. Setting down the comb, I traded it out for my phone.

Karla: Well... thanks Diego. I think

I shook my head in amusement. An hour just to send me that? She really must not have too many friends. Or maybe she was embarrassed from her possibly-claustrophobic episode yesterday—although I still wasn't convinced it was just a phobia of small spaces that had set her off. I started to type in a typical "you're welcome," but it didn't seem friendly enough. If I was right and I was one of her only friends, I needed to be an amazing friend.

Diego: No problem

Diego: Hey, I never see you getting into a vehicle at the end of the day. Would it be awkward to ask if you would want a ride to school?

Karla: Not as awkward as it is for me to say yes

Karla: I would really like a ride to school, if it isn't any trouble

Diego: No trouble at all. I did offer 

Karla: Thanks what time?

I looked up at the clock, accidentally catching my reflection in the mirror. I was grinning like an idiot. I chuckled breathlessly, rubbing the back of my neck. If Grace saw me now, she'd never let me forget. I turned my attention back to the clock. I was almost ready for school, but usually I was still fast asleep. There was still more than two hours until school started.

Diego: What time will you be ready?

Karla: Well...

Karla: I've been ready for quite a while

A little surprised, I grabbed my shirt off the floor. I tugged the white fabric over my head, thinking.

Diego: What if I picked you up now?

Karla: Wait what? Why?

Diego: All part of the friendship process Kitten

Diego: I can pick you up, we can go get coffee and donuts?

Karla: Well...

Diego: I'll pay

Diego: Please?

Diego: It'll be fun

Karla: Alright, but you aren't calling me Kitten there

Diego: Deal. Send your address

I yanked my black hoodie off the corner of my chair and grabbed my keys off the dresser. Turning off my light, I crept into the hall and over to my sister's room. I stood in the doorway for a second. Watching the covers slowly rise and fall was soothing; the steady rhythm reassured me that she would survive another day. As long as the doctors are right, we'll have a full 24 hours warning before anything drastic happens. I tiptoed over to her bedside, leaning down to kiss her on the forehead. "Love ya sis." I whispered.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, making me stiffen guiltily. It seemed a lot louder in the quiet of her room. If I woke her up, I'd never forgive myself. Thankfully, Grace only took a deep breath. She was still fast asleep as I let out a small sigh of relief. Slowly, listening to the slight cracking of my joints, I stood up fully and slid back out into the hall.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket. The blinding light surprised me—I had only been in the dark for a few moments after all. I smiled, committing the address to memory.

Diego: On my way Kitten

Diego: I mean—Karla