Chapter 3- Still Going

"I don't care what she says. I'm still going, I'll jump out that window if I have to!" I grumbled to Bree.

   "Don't worry Chika, she'll have a change of heart." Brianne murmured.

   "No she won't, I saw that look in her eyes, they didn't heal her. She only got better for a few months, it wasn't permanent. Nothing is ever permanent." I choked back a sob. Only one thing was ever permanent and I don't like talking about it.

   "Shhh, don't say that." Brianne soothed.

   I had to get my mind off this, I stood up and started packing. That devil woman was NOT going to ruin my life. Brianne stood silently and started helping me. Within 1 hour we had shoved my entire wardrobe into my suitcases. You never notice how many clothes you have until you have to pack them up.

   "There, all done" I said smiling.

   Suddenly there was a warm pressure on my leg. I looked down and found Cody wrapped around my calf, he was crying.

   "Please Tanya, don't forget about me." He sobbed, looking up at me.

   Tears formed around my eyes, "I could never forget about you little man." I said softly and added, "I love you."

   I picked him up and sat him on my bed. For a 10 year old boy he was fairly light, it sickens me to say that he was built like mom as I was. The only thing either of us had in common with dad were his piercing hazel eyes. Brianne sat on Cody's other side and we covered him in a hug. At that moment dad walked in.

   "Your mother's taking a nap. And Bree's parents just called, they said that they want you home to pack." my dad mumbled, the he seemed to notice the packed suitcases and empty dressers. "Honey, please believe me, I'm the proudest father in the world the you got into this university. But your mother won't be pleased to see all this." he explained

   "Don't worry Dad, she won't know. I'm leaving tomorrow morning. The school already arranged our flights. Also, I'll be staying at Bree's and we're taking little man." I stated glancing down at the crying heap in my lap.

   My dad took a deep breath and said, "I understand, I'll start the car."

   Cody packed an over night bag while I packed up the rest of my room. I was only taking my clothes and some odds and ends to remind me of home. Brianne sat on my bed and watched me work.

   "Now, I'm really, truly finished." I said with a sigh. This was it, I was actually going away to university. I couldn't have been happier.

~*~

   After I said my goodbyes and my dad drove away I unwillingly let a few tears go. Dad hadn't been around for most of my childhood and he was never around during the time mom was falling off the deep end. But he was my father all the same and I guess, some part of me loved him.

   Bree and I went upstairs to her room so we could start packing her stuff and Cody stayed downstairs to play with Briannes little brother, Josh.

   "Uh, Bree? There aren't any clothes here." I called to the bottom of the stairs.

   Brianne's POV.

   "Uh, Bree? There aren't any clothes here," Tanya called down to me.

   What? That can't be. I haven't even started packing yet.

   "Oh that's right honey, I forgot to tell you that we packed up all your clothes. All you have to do is pack up some of the things you want to take to decorate your room." my mom sang from the kitchen, "That way we can spend more time with you before you go." my dad added happily.

   "Awe! Thank you so much." I said giving each of them a peck on the cheek.

   Tanya pounded down the stairs and we spent the rest of the night playing family board games.