Chapter Thirty-Three | First World

[ 33 ]

WARNING: Chapter contains offensive language and fairly-graphic depictions of violence. Also, get some tea and make yourself comfortable, this is a long chapter.

When Guang Bai eventually stirred, waking up from knocking himself out, he found that he was no longer within the confines of the Chief Advisor's home. In fact, he awoke to find that he wasn't in a building whatsoever.

A tent had been strung up, and he was currently lying within it, staring up at the pinched roof. He tried wracking his memories, and one thought came to mind - he had been kidnapped.

Shooting up from the hammock, Guang Bai was quickly limited by a pulse coming from his forehead. When he brought his fingers to it, he winced. The mild headache, was in fact a recovering concussion. The young servant had truly gone down with a wham.

With slow and steady movements, Guang Bai poked his head out of the tent. From the books his master had given him to read, he thus expected to find burly men cackling around a campfire, tearing at meat. When in actuality, all of those who were seeking warmth, were familiar faces.

His fellow servant, the elder female, was going around decanting food into little pots for the children. Those children, were bundled up warmly so they could survive the winter's temperamental weather. So when Guang Bai stepped out, he was quickly spotted.

The elder female passed on her duty to the nearby child, who happily took over, as she scurried over and wrapped her arms around Mianmian. "What are you doing, coming out here without any fur?" She quickly scolded, guiding them back inside of the tent.

"Where are we?"

She sat the little one down, removing her own cloak to wrap around him, and poured some water. When handing it over, she filled in the blank spots in Guang Bai's memory. "We're in the forests surrounding XeClan; west of XeTown."

"What? Where's master?"

"Shh, now. It's alright, we're safe. The Wang Sect, and their closest allies, arrived at our walls and a fight between the two broke out. But our Chief Advisor had already planned for us to be taken by them, to somewhere safer." She continued to explain, recounting what the soldiers had told her, about only killing certain top aristocrats. This was enough to sate both servants' worries about their master being killed.

After Guang Bai had eaten some oats, which helped with his thumping headache, the small camp was quite quiet, until three men entered, one with a mind filled with determination. The Wang Sect individuals who had brought this small group to this location, had been posted in a circle a few clicks away from them. This was also a decision made by the man in charge so that the children and servants wouldn't be too intimidated.

But when three men, proudly wearing their green tunics, appeared out of nowhere, the children instinctively clustered together. They were a little relieved to see that these men paid them no mind, and headed straight for the tent.

"Guang Bai!" One of the men called as he flung open the tent's door. He had no hesitations about stepping inside, but when he scanned the room, he was immediately disappointed. Even the two men behind him, glanced around curiously.

"Yes?"

"What?" The man replied, looking down to the young fresh-faced boy, that was joined by another.

Guang Bai blinked, "Um.. respectable soldier, you called for Guang Bai...and that is my name." He explained tentatively, hesitating on what title he should give this obtuse stranger.