Chapter One Hundred & Three | Fourth World

[ 103 ]

System had their back to Fahren when he reawakened in the space without a single shadow. Travelling from a chaotic world like the last one, somewhere which required him to be in a state of constant alertness, to an environment where everything was deathly silent, left Fahren's mind struggling to keep up.

What he had expected, following his third consecutive death, was to be greeted by the being he had refused to call upon throughout the entirety of his apocalyptic experience. Instead, System appeared preoccupied. Only when Fahren began to move, did the still form seemingly regain their awareness.

The obscure action of his moderator, left him feeling unnerved. Fahren could only fear the worst— painfully playing back key decisions he'd made throughout his previous life; ones he still felt extremely entwined with, given that all the memories were fresh and frightfully in tandem with the raw emotions wracking his body.

Fahren swallowed the lump in his throat, "Have I failed the test?" He asked with no signs of the cocky confidence he once held.

"You're still here, aren't you?" System spoke slowly as they turned and set their distinctive milky eyes directly on the only human in the vicinity.

"I suppose. You just don't seem too happy to see me, even though I went out of my way to make your job easier by not plaguing you with questions." He tried to lighten the mood, even though sweat trickled down the back of his neck. A part of his body that was completely invisible in their current environment.

System slowly observed him from under long pale lashes. "That's what I would have expected, too." Was the usual vague yet worrying answer. And instead of elaborating any further, the being stepped forward and extended a hand.

Fahren immediately recoiled, knowing instantly what would follow. Although his memories would currently do him more harm than good, they were still precious. He shook his head, "I'm strong enough."

System paused and didn't advance any further. Instead, their expression shifted to one of pity. They opted to look to the ground momentarily, before sighing. "You're not, but that's okay because you're human. You aren't built to handle the many stresses you have endured."

"Then why make me go through it, at all? Because at the end of each world, being taken away from my loved ones, it makes me believe my fate has already been decided." Fahren blurted, his anguish like a burning knife twisting inside of him. He wanted to demand answers, to shake the being who refused to share more than what was necessary.

System remained absolutely still. Looking as if they were lost in what to say or do. Eventually, like receiving a reboot, the pale form gently closed the gap between them and fixed their slender hands onto Fahren's non-existent shoulders.

The touch was enough to halter the sheer panic flooding Fahren's body. He found that all his attention was transfixed on the figure that now appeared to be trying to comfort him. "You have successfully lived out three full lives alongside those you treasured. They have passed on, just as you have, but hopefully by now you would have picked up on their presences which follow you from world to world." The slight touch of the shoulder, moved up to cupping Fahren's face.

Clearly, unlike the person undergoing this test, System was able to see his figure. They no longer hesitated in touching Fahren, as a means of consoling. "I know it's a lot easier said than done, but you just need to keep moving forwards. I'm sure you'll meet them again."

Fahren looked at the unidentifiable being in front of him, and the more they spoke the more the young man picked up on something odd. After his tears began to dry, he had the confidence to remove himself from under the moderator's grasp. "Why do you not sound certain? Aren't you the one in charge of my test?"