Chapter Ninety-Nine | Third World

[ 99 ]

As the three ex Scavenger members made their way to the sole entrance into the Hydro-City, Jakob nudged Hansel with a taunting grin on his face. "What was that about?" He was, of course, referring to the fairly intimate moment their friend and the Commander shared.

"Patient confidentiality." Hansel elected to respond, not willing to play the blond's game; no matter how charming his braided hair made him look.

Jakob laughed loudly, not caring about any potential Rotters in the vicinity. It was somewhat refreshing by how calm he was, and acting his usual self. It solidified the feeling of victory in each of them, something they had kept under wraps out of respect for the fallen. But Jakob, regardless of the situation, was always the first to bounce back. And from there, he'd drag Hansel back with him.

"Doesn't exist in this world, now get ya' tongue waggin'."

Bjorn was walking alongside them, one hand rested on the assault rifle holstered over his broad chest, and the other was in his pocket. He appeared quite content, looking around without worry, all while listening to his young companions witter on.

With not so much as a peep out of Hansel, Jakob stepped it up a notch. "I could always take over your body and go ask him myself?" He asked and wiggled his fingers at the unimpressed young man who gave him the stink eye.

"If you do that, I'll use the opportunity to see your most suppressed memories."

Jakob's eyebrows met his hairline and when Hansel began to wonder if he'd truly freaked the man out, the blond opened his mouth again. "When I was a kid, I liked ta' wear my mums dresses and heels. It left me feelin' very confused, for many years."

"..what?"

Even Bjorn almost lost his footing at the sudden confession. Both men looked to their outspoken teammate. But he didn't stop there, "Then when I was in my early teens, before bein' kicked into juvie, I had this girlfriend who wanted to buy lingerie. Ended up buying her lots of crap, with support from my pops who wanted to stamp out the queer in me, but we broke up before I could give them to her. So I tried em' on myself. I can say, hand on my hand, that those thongs ain't comfortable- but damn they made my ass look good."

"Why are you telling us this?"

Jakob smiled innocently, "It's just a warning for ya' if you go in my head. Because they're the only things that can be considered my deepest secrets. Actually, I invite ya to have a look." He suddenly opened his arms, presenting himself. It unnerved Hansel, who quickly started walking away. His threat now dead.

"You'd look good in lingerie, Gretel. Thas' why I can guess that the Commander wants to ride you like a carrousel."

"You're disgusting," Hansel refused to look at the man as his ears burned.

"My bad, ya right. It's probably you that'll be doing the riding."

"Bjorn, please shut him up."

"With pleasure."

They messed around until they reached the entrance to the city. Most of the vehicles had been moved off of the bridge, curtesy of the soldiers when they first moved in with their wheels. Whether it was because of the rainfall which was still visible in the distance, or because they knew to keep away out of fear of the creatures which had inhabited the city, the Rotters were nowhere to be seen. It made the job easier and soon both Hansel and Jakob watched on as Bjorn prepared himself.

Taking precautions, he stood a fair distance away from the dam. So from a distance, the bystanders could only watch as he lowered himself and touched his palms to the ground. Both men watching understood the strain it took, and fortunately for them their abilities were pretty instantaneous. Unlike, as it would appear, Bjorn's.