Chapter Eighteen | First World

[ 18 ]

They walked silently, one leading and the other shuffling nervously behind. The tavern was fully-equipped for all types of guests, so they wouldn't be caught by surprise. Apparently, this particular establishment prided themselves on the many wealthy guests that walk through their doors.

Those who welcomed them initially, looked down their noses, evaluating every individual. Before they stepped up, a particularly snooty woman was requesting a room, but the only ones left were for the last minute VIP guests who lack the care to book ahead, and merely show up as and when they wish. This woman was not included on this list, and was merely a wealthy woman from a certain clan.

She didn't take well to the knowledge of there being no free rooms. She was likely aware of the politics of this place and didn't take kindly to being branded an average rich woman. When she began to raise her voice, those who were lounging nearby couldn't help but eye the woman with disdain.

Though this woman was dressed-to-the-max in expensive fabrics, she was hardly worth anyone's time. Those with the wealth didn't bother wearing all their expensive possessions on them, they merely sought attractive comfort, so this woman in comparison was an eyesore.

ShuNing, who had been wearing a simple one colour pale blue robe, with his cloak that was gifted from Kang Guiren, had initially felt out of place. Only to figure out that he likely looked of higher-status than this woman who was probably far more wealthy than he could ever dream to be in this world.

He initially didn't want to bring this cloak, as those with experienced-eyes know what animal it was made from, but as the temperature dropped and he was forced to sit in a box with wheels, he felt more inclined to snuggle inside of it.

Eventually the woman had snubbed her nose, and exited the highly-priced tavern. And when ZhangFeng stepped up, without a care in the world for what had previously transpired, the people on the front desk practically bent over backwards for them.

Their room was on one of the upper-floors, which probably meant something that ShuNing didn't care to find out. As they walked on, it got quieter and quieter, no longer would they brush passed people in the large hallways.

Eventually when they reached it, and ZhangFeng opened the door, could ShuNing release a breath he didn't realise he was holding. The room was unnecessarily large, and could have easily been divided into three, leaving ample enough room for everyone.

White coloured sheer drapes dominated the room, softening it up and making it intimate. Everything about it screamed romantic room for two. To the right side of the room was a three panelled structure that worked to divide the bathroom from the rest of the room. Though, it was hardly giving someone privacy as it was also created with a fabric where you could see the other's outline.

An actual high-sided golden bathtub was on the other side, calling out for ShuNing to use since he didn't get to use one at the other tavern. This one, unlike the wooden structure of the one before, actually held a strong similarity to modern-day bathtubs, except for how deep it was.

And since this world didn't have anything in terms of elaborate plumbing, there was a container-of-sorts that, judging from the rising steam, contained hot water.

Begrudgingly, the focal point of the room was almost definitely the four-poster bed that was in the centre. Draped from each post was the exquisite fabrics that invited you to touch it. And the bed, the bed, ShuNing's eyes sparkled, looked so comfortable.

"There's your bed." ZhangFeng sliced through ShuNing's daydream, gesturing to the left side of the room where a single bed lay. ShuNing scrunched his face at the sight of it. It definitely looked like one that had been put up last minute. For a less important guest.