Chapter Forty-Three | Second World

[ 43 | Second World ]

Rubbing at the corner of his eyes, Hisaya was now officially running on fumes. Making everything run on his definition of 'smoothly' was no small task. He'd been back and forth between the Eastern District and the Commercial District over the week and by the time he stopped in the evening, he was exhausted.

On the last day of the week, Hisaya had booked for a driver to pick him up. And he could barely keep his eyes open on the drive back. But as his phone was always plastered to his side, he heard it when he got a text. For a moment, he kept his eyes closed, willing himself to just ignore it, at least until the end of the journey, but the possibilities of who it could be niggled at his mind.

As expected, it was Yoshiaki. And since the other man knew his packed schedule, whatever he had to say was probably going to be more troublesome than anything. But after opening the text message, Hisaya paused. His thumb hovering over the text-box.

It was a somewhat strange text, "Sorry, I know you're busy, but does the name Asahi ring a bell?"

Asahi? Hisaya spoke the name out loud, finding some odd familiarity with it. But not much else. No sudden wave of memories came to mind, so he truly had no clue. Obviously not someone that important?

He typed back, hesitating only a moment before replying. "Someone I should know?" Not that he was aware in the slightest, but his response sent his assistant into a frenzied panic. So much so that the man dropped his already-abused phone.

"Never mind, sir. I heard from the office that they've managed to find something related to the case." Came a response a few moments later.

Hisaya noticed the quick topic change, but didn't think it was worrying. He texted back saying he would stop by his apartment to freshen-up before heading into work. It wasn't uncommon in the Commercial District that people worked all-hours. Trading was non-stop, which meant that office-lights were always on and small food-outlets were doing their best to cater for the zombie-like businessmen and women.

Unsurprisingly, there were a few cameras loitering around his apartment building, but as he was in a blacked-out car, it wasn't easy for them to snap pictures. And his driver didn't give them the opportunity to get any closer to use the flashes.

As per usual, when he stepped into the lobby, aside from the light piano-music that played in the background, there was no one around. Which made sense how people could go years without even knowing the names of their neighbours. In the lift, he swiped his ID card and it started moving. And when the doors re-opened Hisaya came face to face with a large wicker-basket.

Since the building had a layout whereas the lifts doors acted like the front doors of the apartment, there were tight restrictions on who could enter the building. Which is why he could only suspect Yoshiaki of leaving the gift. But the man wasn't one to be spontaneous.

Tossing his belongings onto the nearby chair, Hisaya walked over to the basket. He had to siphon through various tissue-papers and other 'aesthetically-pleasing' elements before he got to see what was inside. And seeing a few boxes of his new favourite brand of chocolate, he wasn't disappointed.

On one of his rare free afternoons, he had gone exploring the Southern District/ food district, along with the reluctant Yoshiaki. But even though reluctant, the beta still knew everything there was to know about their area. Including, the infamous chocolate shop. As a glutton, Hisaya couldn't say no to a taste-test. And he was impressed; but less so by the price-tag.

Though his business was bringing in enough money to keep any person satisfied, it still wasn't enough to warrant spending a majority of it on chocolate- as much as he wanted to.