20

The next day I am aloud back in training, glad to return to becoming better at what Harry is training us to do. My legs are a bit weak during the beginning run, but after a few laps become accustomed to the constant movement once again. After we've ran a good three miles Harry calls us back in, leading us inside the training center and to the shooting range.

Once we step inside I can't help but think of the other night with Harry, and by the way his lips tug upwards slightly I can tell he is also. "Pick up a gun and get with a partner, I want you all to get some good shots in today." He says after a moment, patting an initiate on the back before walking over to the wall of guns.

I walk over so I'm standing besides him, pretending to be looking for a weapon to use. "Which do you suggest?" I ask.

Harry looks up with a raised eyebrow, "any lightweight pistol would be good for you."

I look over my options before picking up a small handgun, the feeling of the barrel in my hand giving me a surge of confidence. These things may be dangerous, but they also give you a feeling of power that I have never felt before. I load the gun quickly before walking over to a shooting lane. the target is set up a good twenty or so feet away, and the first bullet I shoot nearly goes through the center.

"You're a good shot." A deep voice says, and I look over to find Patrick with his arms crossed standing just where the lane other lane and my own separate, apparently my partner.

"Thank you," I respond. "Do you want to have a go?"

"Not really, I'd rather watch." He says, and I can't help but feel awkward as a result of his statement.

Instead of saying anything I continue shooting until the gun needs to be reloaded, hitting my target around the center with each bullet. "You want to know, don't you." Patrick says as I am reloading the weapon, the question I had been pondering suddenly being put on the table.

I know he's referring to the drugs he took from the storage unit, and since falsely confessing I've wondered what his reasoning behind it could be. Patrick was clearly struggling to keep up with the rest of us, but whatever he took must've had some sort of purpose.

Slowly I nod, not meeting his eyes as I put the bullets in their rightful places. "There's someone in here, someone who can help someone like me get through this if I get them things in return. Those drugs aloud me to pass through the first half of training, if I hadn't of gotten those I would've been thrown out onto the streets in a heartbeat." He explains, almost proud with himself.

I can't argue with him on the last part of his statement, everyone knew that whoever couldn't manage to do the training would be left behind, "so you stole drugs in return for what, immunity?"

"Let's just say they added a few points here and there so I was able stay on the board, barely making the top fifteen to continue on." He says with an edge to his voice.

I remember Niall and Jess telling me about the lowest five being cut while I was in the infirmary, surprised Patrick wasn't one of them at the time, but now I guess I know why.

Just as I'm about to speak a voice cuts in, "no more talking initiates, focus on your task at hand." A dark haired member says to both Patrick and I. We nod in obedience, the feeling of him watching me during the entire training session causing chills to course throughout my body.

-

It's hours after training ended and I was finally able to get into Harry's office to tell him of Patricks revelations. He listens contently as I spill out the information, not saying a word until I am finished.

"If that's all true then someone here is breaking a shit ton of rules, and not to mention they are using how weak Patrick is to get what they need." He says, leaning back in his chair whilst running his hand across his jaw.

"Are you going to say anything?" I ask, not sure if I really even want him to.

He shakes his head, "no, my priorities are getting through training and then the two of us go to the outsiders. I can't worry about anything else until I'm able to get you back to your family, and out from under control of this government."

I lean away from the wall before walking over to Harry and sitting on his lap, his arms wrapping around my waist as I do so. I rest my head on his chest before speaking, "are you sure you want to do this?"

He presses a kiss to the top of my head before sighing, "of course I am. This wasn't some overnight decision, I thought about it for longer than you could imagine until I knew I was sure."

I still have doubts as to whether he really wants to free himself or this is some sort of heroic act he needs to complete, but decide to ignore my subconscious and instead focus on the steadiness of his heartbeat as we sit in silence. There's not many opportunities for this kind of privacy to happen between us, so when it does all I want to do is bask in it until the time is gone and I'm forced back to reality. Harry brushes his hand through my hair as we sit there, the action so soothing that I feel as if I may fall asleep due to it.

"Why do you think Patrick wanted to tell me? I mean I confessed to his crime but I never asked for an explanation, and he probably shouldn't have told me what he did." I ramble, not really sure why I'm saying any of this.

"Do you remember what I told you when you asked why I was helping you? How there was something about you that I couldn't pinpoint?" When I nod he continues, "Patrick probably sees that as well, hell, everyone here probably does. You're just one of a kind Rose, and there's no other way I can put it."

"You really have a way of making me feel that way." I say, feeling my cheeks go red and suddenly grateful he can't see my face.

"Honestly sometimes I'm glad I was the first one to, god knows I could've missed my opportunity to someone more charming than myself here."

I can't help but laugh at how much he downgrades himself, "trust me, no other man here could surpass you, at least not to me."

"God, you're making me blush Rosemary." He says, placing his hand on my cheek and making me look at him.

"Don't call me a herb," is all I'm able to say before his lips are pressed to mine.

______________________________

if school was a person id murder them so quickly no joke

Goal: 1600 votes and 850 comments

so school just started and I'm so stressed already this year is going to suck ass

what grade are you in?

im in 10th and it's already terrible lol

Instagram & Twitter: @heswriting

-Jo x