4 - Archie

AFTER A FULL DAY of lessons, I felt like I'd run a marathon.

Having spent eight weeks on holiday, the four lessons I'd had to today had completely exhausted me.

By the time Matt and I get to the pavilion for football training, I think we're both kind of wishing we didn't have to babysit newcomers. I for one was hoping we could either train by ourselves or, even better, just go home.

When we get to the changing rooms, Callum, Devon, Jason and two other boys from the year above are already there getting changed. Their conversation stops dead, but with a few nods, Matt and I go to a corner each. After a few moments conversation restarts, but I'm wondering what they were talking about.

Changing is the part I always hate most about Games or practice. I didn't want to show anyone my back, and I always have to try and change without them seeing. No thanks to Dad, I have several scars on it. Nine to be precise, and I always knew that if someone saw, people would definitely start asking questions. I could explain it away if there was just one, but there are nine, with five looking more serious than the other four.

Today I had a vest on underneath my shirt, so I keep that on under the shirt I'd packed for practice. I'd get hot, but I didn't mind that. In any case, even before Dad had hit me I wasn't one for showboating anyway, so no one finds it odd.

I was just tying my boot laces when Coach comes in looking disappointed.

"Not enough sign-ups for today's session lads," he says to us, waving the clipboard. "Looks like everyone's saving it for next week." Only half the team is actually here, and as most after school activities weren't starting until next week, I'm not really surprised.

The others all groan, but Matt and I were quite relieved. I personally didn't mind what we did tonight, but it Matt wanted to practice, so I was happy to join him.

The others, Callum especially, always terrorise the new recruits, just like the older boys had done to us, but I wasn't in the mood for it today. I just want to work on drills and penalty shots, so this was perfect.

"Is it okay if we practice anyway?" Matt asks Coach.

His eyebrows raise in surprise. "Er yeah, sure. Just leave the balls in here after and I'll put them away in the morning," he nods. "Sorry boys," he announces to the rest of them.

A bunch of mumbles in response to Matt asking if anyone wanted to join us were thankfully apologies, followed with everyone else packing their stuff away. No one is as keen as us to get any extra practice in, clearly. They each give Matt a pat on the back as they leave, and once the last person has left, Matt was smiling. I figured that was his plan all along.

Any extra football practices were key for Matt. He has to keep them up, with other practices mid-week, as he plays for the 1st team of the Essex U21s. They have matches home and away pretty much every weekend these days so he needs to be able to keep up with everyone else, despite still being in school and about four years younger. But what I love is that, despite training hard, he still spends and makes time for family and friends. 

When it comes to university, he's still wondering whether to 'sack off' school altogether, to try and go pro. If football goes well over the next two years he's hoping he can do it, but I think Andrew is hoping he can do both, keeping his options open. I have faith Matt will go all the way, but we'll have to see what happens. If he gets any kind of nod from scouts, he'd be off in a flash, but I think Andrew's put his foot down about finishing school at least.

"You ready?" I ask Matt once I've tied my shoes.

"You bet!" He grins and pats me on the back before grabbing four balls from the bag Coach had left us.