31 - Tessa

WHEN ARCHIE AND I get back up the common room, we seem to have gone and returned unnoticed, much to our relief.

Both of us have a free for last period, so after dropping our stuff on the tables, we drop down on the seats and wait for the final bell to go.

Barely anyone stays for last period on Fridays. We don't usually stay, unless Matt lets us know he's doing an extra practice and Millie gets a lift, but today was slightly different. We have to stay. I have to wait for Matt as Mum was picking us up, and then Archie had to wait for Millie. As we weren't heading home, he needed to take her back.

As I think about Mum, I realise I hadn't texted her to ask what the plan is. She had said yesterday on the phone that a car was coming to pick us up, but she hadn't actually said when yet.

Texting her, I find myself yawning, today's activities and heavy conversations already catching up to me. As I yawn for a second time, I feel a pair of lips touch lightly to the side of my head.

"Baby, I'll be over there okay?" He yawns, and I'm glad it's not just me. "I am so tired," he  says smiling before kissing me once more and wandering over to the red sofas.

I nod, finishing my message and hitting send.

Hola Madre! Looking forward to seeing you! What is the plan re picking us up? Let me know so I can tell Matty 😬 xxxx

Mum's attached to her phone, so I knew I'd get a quick reply.

Putting my phone back in my pocket, I smile as I sit. Archie is dozing already, but when I touch his leg with mine, he sits up slightly to allow some room for me. He then pulls me into the little spoon, and we both settle comfortably.

After five minutes the slow rhythms of Archie's chest and heartbeat are putting me to sleep, and I swear I actually do.

When my phone buzzes in my pocket, and I realise half an hour had gone by. I stir and sit up but Archie doesn't. From the sound of the soft snores and even breathing, he is quite literally out for the count.

Hey sweetheart! I'm downstairs at the Tower already. Black Range Rover... so excited about seeing my babies!!!! See ya sooooon xxxxx 👩‍👧‍👦

I smile at her choice of emoji, and at all her kisses.

I miss Mum incredibly, especially recently given mine and Archie's new status. But I missed her before all this happened and I can't wait to hang out just us girls again, just like old times. Matt would just have to deal with it.

Yay! Okay. I'm just waiting for Matt to come out of classes, so we'll be down soon. Archie and Millie are coming to say hi too! 😄 xxx

As I finish reading the message, Matt's number pops up on my screen.

I hit accept.

"Hey," I answer chirpily. "I was just about to message you."

"Why?" He says curtly.

I choose to ignore how he's being short with me. He's probably tired just like me.

"Mum texted me. She's downstairs waiting for us, so we'll go find her when you get up here."

"Oh cool. Erm okay. Well, I'm just out of Media now, so I'll be up in a minute. Can you find my bag?"

"Yeah sure. Which one is it?"

"Shelf. Brighton kit bag."

"Oh yeah, I see it. I'll see you in a..." I trail off as I hear the line cut off before I can finish my sentence. "Minute."