a half and three inches

Lalisa Manoban

"W-what?"

Everything was happening in a very slow motion, probably because of my bad eyesight. Kookie's face was really close, I swear I could count his pores, really quickly, I'll start from zero and it's done, how quick is that? I was thinking maybe I should count his eyelashes instead then maybe his lower lashes and then the strands of little hair that made up his eyebrows.

But the one who looks away/blinks loses and I'm really determined on winning this round so I kept myself from counting any part of his face.

One second, Kookie was staring into my eyes as if trying to read all my darkest secrets, like my feeding Jisoo the rabbit's food. The next, he was saying some nonsense about needing courage to kiss me and then he was closing his eyes..

And then he was leaning forward.

He really closed his eyes just like he said he would. I thought he was psyching me out for sure.

But that means our match is over and I win and I should get a wish, right?
Right? I was so sure that I'm right but..

..he's still leaning forward! And he's getting really close and I can either push him away and let him fall off the terrace or wait here until whatever it is that's  supposed to happen happens.

I closed my eyes. Tight. And waited.

And waited.

For something to happen.

Surely it's gonna happen now.

Any second now.

Seriously? Fine, five more seconds.

Five more seconds after the first five seconds that I allowed and still nothing's happening.

I'm getting sick of the word happen but I really need to know what the hell's happening.

Should I open an eye and sneak a peek or something?

"If you close your eyes, I'll take it as a yes that you want me to kiss you."

I heard Kookie's voice from somewhere very near. Strangely, his voice was not in slow mo at all, which could only mean that my hearing is working perfectly unlike my impaired vision.

I opened my eyes. And found his twinkling eyes staring right at me from two inches away, no actually, maybe four inches. "My eyes were open the whole time." I lied as cooly as I can in this dreadful summer heat as if I didn't just open my eyes right under his manly nose, widening them to the widest they can go, just in case his hearing was in slow mo.

His eyes twinkled at me some more, like it's trying to pick a fight or something. I've never fought with eyes before, it's going to be an interesting experience.

"Uh-huh, nice try." Kookie was saying, "But I saw the exact moment you closed your eyes." with a teasing little smirk.

I know that he knows I'm lying and he knows that I know he knows. "Uh-huh. Must be your imagination." But I still lied all the way anyway.

His teasing little smirk slowly faded, mayhap my gaze dropped to his lips for a bit there, completely by accident. It shouldn't matter that I looked away for a millisecond because our match was over but there's no way in hell that I'm blinking right after he said what he just said about me closing my eyes and him taking it as a yes that I want him to k... I lost my line of thought and didn't bother finding it.

Because I noticed Kookie looking serious and intense, and I feel that I should really try to match his seriousness and intenseness.

And then his face inched a half inch closer so our lips are only a half and three inches apart now if anyone's counting or measuring the distance.