Chapter 19

Lily proved to be a girl of her word, the very next day I woke up to find her and Chris cuddling on the couch as they watched TV. I quickly went to the kitchen to grab a pack of Pop Tarts and hurried back to my room to search for clothes so I could leave as fast as possible. I slipped into a long sleeved Killswitch Engage shirt with a pair of gray skinny jeans and put on my Manson hoodie on before stepping into my black vans. I shoved my iPod and the phone Chris let's me borrow in the pocket of my hoodie as I made my way out of the bedroom. I bite into the blueberry flavored treat as I scrolled through my songs so I would appear busy as I headed for the living room. I made sure to put in one of my ear buds before stepping in the room.

Yet that didn't stop Chris from speaking to me, "Where are you going Nicole?"

"I'm going to go hangout with Jessie." I explained nonchalantly.

He sat up straight with a raised eyebrow, "Are you talking about that guy that keeps hanging around you?"

"He doesn't follow me, we're friends."

"It seems like he wants a bit more from you than that." He points out.

I shrug, "It wouldn't really bother me if that was true."

I watched as he pierced his lips together in a thin line looking annoyed, but before he could say anything to me Lily cut in.

"Chris, stop acting like an overprotective brother and let her go see her friend."

He sighed quietly, "Fine, I'll see you later, but when you get back I need to talk to you. Okay?"

I only nodded and opened the front door.

"See ya Nicole!" Lily called.

I waved goodbye with a small smile and shut the door as I stepped outside. I rested my back against the brick wall of the apartment building and let out a deep breath. All I had really wanted was to get out of there, I have nowhere to actually be. I decided to just walk to town and window shop until I got tired. I ended up spotting a book store and I could feel a small smile touch my lips, now this would definitely keep me busy for awhile. I walked into the little shop noticing the only sounds were of the bells when I entered, an air conditioner, and people softly chatting.

I've always loved books thanks to my mom, when I was a little kid she would read me stories before bed and our whole wall in the back of the living room was bookshelves. So to say the least I had a fairly large love for reading and I proved that to myself by spending at least two hours thumbing through countless books. I checked my ipod's clock telling me that it was now 2 in the afternoon and I had been gone since 11 this morning. I found myself wondering why Chris hadn't called or texted me asking where I was by now, well he probably had all his attention wrapped up in Lily. I hated that my heart sunk at the thought, but I then decided that I should take a walk through the park. Every love story I found in here made my mind wonder back to Chris in some way or another.

Once I was back outdoors I noticed that the sky had gathered large dark storm clouds, so the walk might be out of the question if it starts to rain. I dreaded the idea of heading back to the apartment already, but then it didn't seem like I had a choice because it began to pour. I raced down the sidewalk to find some sort of cover and just ahead I noticed the yellow roof of the Waffle House, so I sprinted for it. Once inside my hoodie was fairly damp so I pulled it off and sat down in one of the waiting chairs staring outside, hoping the rain would stop quickly. 

While I gazed out the window I felt a light tap on my shoulder and I quickly turned around to see the purple and black haired waitress standing in front of me. She smiled softly before saying, "It kinda came out of nowhere didn't it?"