Chapter 7

'Today is the day, oh god today is the day!' I sang in my mind as I attempted to adjust my deep purple tassel in the mirror and smiled to myself, it was hard to keep honest since I was so painfully nervous.

I glanced up at the clock in the bathroom telling me that it was time to meet up with my year and get in my place in line. I rushed out to the large auditorium searching for the faces I had only memorized this morning, yea is it obvious I'm not big into socializing? Thankfully it wasn't to difficult and I was also pleased to see Mrs. Master would be the one in charge of the P's.

"Nicole!" She called dashing over to me with a bright smile, she was wearing a soft purple dress that looked sweet and yet still smart, like her usual attire and as always she looked beautiful. She pulled me into a tight warm hug, something that she had been prone to a lot lately, but I guess considering that this would probably be the last time I'll ever see her I could be okay with it. Her voice sounded thick with emotion as she spoke softly, "I can't believe this is it, it's been so nice knowing you and having you work with me all this time I don't think I'll have another aid like you. When you finally do become a psychologist I know you'll help so many people because you're so caring about others. You're going to do great things Nicole and you will be happy I promise."

Through the first part of her speech I would have thought she probably said that to every aid that she's had that graduated, but the last piece, I knew it was for me and I had to fight back tears as I gave her a hard hug back. When we finally pulled apart I saw that she was a bit misty eyed as well.

"So," She cleared her throat before going on, "where's your family? I'd love to meet them."

I tried not to let my embarrassment show when I said, "It's just going to be my brother and his girlfriend here."

Mrs. Master had already met them both several times. My dad wasn't here because he was on a 'hunting trip' aka meeting up with who ever was his girlfriend at the moment because when ever he did choose to bring one around I made sure to act like the most terrible and annoying human being I could be; they wouldn't stay around long after that. The rest of my family lived in different states, little Nicole graduating isn't that big of a deal for them. Thankfully before either of us could say anything the principal began telling us to file to our seats. I zoned out through half of the ceremony because it was basically just the staff recognizing the 'hardest working students', in other words it was the school's last attempt to make the rest of the student body feel like stupid pieces of shit.

The only time I come back to reality is when they are finally calling out my name. I try to not dash up the stage for my diploma, basically the thing to last grant me my freedom. I do the usual of shaking the principal's hand and the other teachers on the stage before stepping off to spot Bobby, Samantha, and much to my shocking surprise Chris sitting in the rafters over the class. He smiles at me when he notices I've seen him, but for some reason his smile fades as he watches the others around me. I hesitantly turn a little to late and right when I walk past some of Tray's friends I get tripped.

Now I'm sad to say that I'm actually used to this, but today I couldn't have been in a worse place because we happened to be right next to the refreshment table that held a large bowl of punch. For some idiotic reason as I was falling I decided to grab onto the table cloth to save myself, but all I managed to do was dump the red liquid all over my golden graduation gown. The whole building was silent for a moment and then a bubble of laughter started up, soon it was ringing in my ears because that was all I could hear.

"Way to go Phillips!" Someone shouted and then more and more jeers started shooting my way, wow I always thought they all hated me; I just never knew just how right I was.

I quickly got to my feet, discovering that I was a dripping wet mess. I feel like this is sort of like how Carrie felt in that Stephen King book, but sadly I didn't have any powers that would help me kill my classmates. On the other hand I knew exactly how to take care of myself. I raced up the nearest stair case, casting out all logical thought about what people would think I was doing; I just wanted some fresh air away from all eyes. When I was on top of the windy auditorium I realized that the punch had soaked all the through my clothing and I began to shiver, but I refused to get down off this roof because that would mean going back down into all that chaos.

I walked over to the ledge and sat down, letting my legs swing over the three story drop. I couldn't stop myself from wondering how badly that fall would hurt and if I would be lucky enough to die on impact. As I began slowly scooting closer to the edge I heard the door behind me creak open and I let out a deep sigh, well there went that plan.

"Nicole what are you doing?" Chris speaks up behind me.

"Thinking." I reply simply.

"Can I sit with you?"

I nodded and then Chris's long figure was there blocking the wind from my left side. He made me jump slightly when he started to put his misfits jacket over my shoulders. After several minutes of silence I make the remark, "You know you're going to have to wash this later right?"

Chris shrugged, "Oh well."

We sat there watching everyone get into their cars, ready for celebrating. Chris ended up texting Bobby telling him that he had found me and I was alright. When half the parking lot was cleared out Chris shifted a bit where he was sitting before quietly saying the one thing I desperately needed to hear right now, "We're leaving tomorrow."    

I rested my head on his shoulder murmuring, "Thank you."

"Come on let's go back to your place and get packing." He suggests standing to his feet and holds a hand out for me.

I take it for once without hesitation and we leave for his car, not so much as glancing at those that were still there. It was funny how the whole world seemed to not matter when I was around Chris and it honestly scared me a little bit. I'm just his pity case, I don't need to feel like this. I don't want to have feelings for him, but why does it feel like I'm realizing all of this a bit too late?

********************************************************************************

Oh ho oh!! Things are gonna really start happening now!! Sorry I'm a bit excited for this. Vote, comment, and follow cause it means a lot :)