Chapter 17

I ended up watching a bit of TV when Chris dropped me off at the apartment instead of just calling it a night. I was in the middle of the movie The Lost Boys when I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I glanced at the clock, it was 1:00 A.M., great that meant getting up for class tomorrow was going to be dreadful. I heard the key slip in the lock and I knew Chris was back. I could have sworn I heard the sound of a soft girly giggle and I hurriedly got off the couch, dashing for my room as quietly as I could. If he had brought her back with him I didn't want to meet her while I was wearing Family Guy pajama bottoms and a huge HIM t-shirt, while she probably looked like she was ready for a night on the town.

I wormed my way under my covers trying to make it appear that I had already been asleep for some time. It stayed silent for awhile and I began to wonder if I had somehow been hearing things. Then my door softly creaked, telling me that it was being opened.

"Aw Chris, she's so pretty." A girl whispered just loud enough that I could make out what she was saying.

"Yeah, I really hope you two like each other." He whispered back.

"Well we will find out tomorrow afternoon won't we?"

After that my door was closed once more and I could feel a tear slide from the corner of my eye, I should have known my hopes were foolish. My hands began to shake as my moment of sadness turned to anger and frustration, I don't understand why things like this happen to me. Do I not ever get a break? It's like for a fleeting minute I let myself believe that things have finally toned down and then it only gets worse. I ran my hands over my face, letting out a sigh. I understood that there was nothing I could do now, so I readjusted my pillow and tried to catch some sleep.

The next morning I drug myself out of bed and took a quick shower to revive myself before heading out. The morning air was chilly and the sky was gray, as I walked I didn't listen to my music for once. I wanted to think about some things, like why hadn't Chris told me that he had a girlfriend? When I finally reached the campus I was still as confused as ever and not to mention sadder. Now I really didn't want to go to school. I was tired in more ways than one.

I take my usual seat in psychology class and made myself look busy by getting out my notebook and pen. I just wanted to be left alone today, but I knew I couldn’t have that. Several minutes later Jessie showed up, taking his seat to my right.

"Here's that application I promised you." He announces pushing the stack of papers to me.

I glanced up at him for a moment, smiling softly as I murmured, "Thanks."

I was quick to start filling it out, hoping that it would discourage him from talking to me for a bit. However that only lasted until I was on the second page.

"Are you feeling alright? You seem a bit under the weather." He questioned, his voice full of concern.

I was actually a bit shocked, he's the first person to ever really pick up on the fact I was upset when everyone else isn't even able to tell. That's when an idea popped in my head, something that would make both Jessie and I happy.

"Not really." I admit.

"Well do you want to hang out with me before I have to go to work later? See if we can cheer you up?"

Yes, it worked. This was the perfect way for me to avoid meeting Chris's girlfriend and I could get to know my friend a bit better.  I smiled lightly, "Yeah, sure. That'd be nice."

He returned the smile, only nodding.

"So," I began, changing the subject, "thanks for letting me borrow your books yesterday."