Twenty Three [Listen To Fate]

Niall didn’t think two days could ever pass so slowly. It feels like every second he is checking his watch. His interview at the bakery was a breeze though, and he got the job without even having to think. He has to start training for the job in about a week, but he feels no need to worry about it. The only thing he can really think about is Zayn. He can’t believe that Zayn is thinking about giving him another chance. It’s obvious that Louis doesn’t think it’s a good idea, but Harry didn’t seem so against it. Maybe things would be right again.

            The day before Niall is supposed to visit Zayn again he sits around the house and tries to force himself to watch television. It doesn’t really work though, and he ends up pacing the living room. It’s almost dinner time when Liam walks in. He’s wearing his green nurse slacks and shirt, and his briefcase is filled to the brim with papers.

            “What’s wrong?” That’s the first thing Liam asks, because Niall’s nervous pacing is an obvious give away.

            Niall shrugs, “I just can’t wait until he tells me. I need to know.”

            “Just don’t think about it,” Liam advises.

            “I’m trying,”

            “Obviously not hard enough,”

            Niall rolls his eyes and walks towards Liam, “C’mon, Liam, let’s go get food or ice cream or something. I need to distract myself and the television isn’t working.”

            So Liam runs to change and returns with his wallet, “I’ll pay for dinner,” He says, “But only to congratulate you on getting that job at the bakery,”

            “Okay,” Niall grins.

            The two take off into the city and towards a small pub. It’s a place that Niall likes a lot, and he’s had a few beers here since he moved into the new condo. He’s hoping that he can make it their place to go when they go out, but Liam doesn’t seem to like the place all that much. He likes their burgers and fries, but the people there freak him out. Niall has a beer and some appetizers while Liam digs into his burger. And when Liam doesn’t finish his food Niall is more than happy to finish it for him.

            The two of them are about to pay the bill and leave when the pub’s door opens and three familiar people walk in. Louis. Harry. Zayn.

            Niall’s heart immediately starts to pound and he’s not sure whether he should say hi or not. The three walking in obviously see Liam and Niall. Louis rolls his eyes. Harry grins a bit. And Zayn looks, scared?

            “Liam! Niall,” Harry decides to initiate the contact. Niall isn’t sure what to do or say. The waitress is about to seat the three of them, but Harry waves her off, “No, no, we’ll sit with those two,”

            Now Niall is really freaking. He’s supposed to have another night until he sees Zayn again and figures out how the future is going to play out. But here Zayn is, in all his beauty, looking ready to say something major.

            “This is our place,” Louis says, “Since when do you come here?”

            “Since a few weeks ago,” Liam says.

            “Well this is our place, as I just said so you guys can leave,” Louis is obviously not happy about any of this, but Harry puts his hands out to stop the angry banter.

            “Let’s all sit and talk, like old times?”

            It’s silent for a while and then everyone gets into the booth. Niall feels so scared. He can’t stop staring at Zayn’s golden orbs that are glued to the table. He’s obviously a little scared too. Neither of them were expecting this early confrontation. Liam starts chatting idly to cover up how awkward this really is, and Harry joins in. Louis sits and sulks. Zayn stares at the table. And Niall stares at Zayn.