Twenty One [Two Feet]

Niall and Liam are both drunk when they stumble into their condo late at night. Niall feels thousands times better than he did early at the home improvement store, and Liam is laughing about the ceiling being on the floor. Niall is about to head upstairs and fall into bed, when the annoying sound of bass and loud music floods through the air. It’s annoying and pounding and it’s making both of the drunks sick. Niall thinks about the music a little and realizes it’s coming from next door. It makes him think of his old condo and Zayn and the music that made them fight but eventually fall in love.

            For some reason, Niall wanders out of the condo and to the one next door. Memories flood through his mind and he smells something illegal wafting out of the condo next door. It literally just screams Zayn. The smokey-ness. The loud music. Niall suddenly just knows that Zayn is here. He feels like he can feel Zayn’s presence, as silly as it may sound.

            Drunken Niall trips onto the condo’s porch and he knocks hard and firm. His heart and head are both pounding and Niall just wants to see Zayn. He just wants to feel his lips again. He wants to hold him. Wants to have Zayn kiss his tattoo. Wants to have Zayn back, forever.

            Because let’s face it. It’s been three fucking years and Niall is still stuck on Zayn. Getting drunk hasn’t made his feelings lessen, only magnify and Niall feels like he is going to cry if he doesn’t have Zayn right this second.

            Niall suddenly feels dizzy and he drops to his knees on the porch. He tries to face the fact. Zayn is not here. Zayn is not throwing an old party like old times. Niall is alone, on the front porch on a stranger’s home. But Niall can’t really do anything about it, because he passes out there, thinking of a certain golden eyed man.

~*~

            When Liam wakes the next morning the house is empty. Niall is missing. His heart starts pounding and he tries so hard to remember things about the last night. Why did he have to push Niall to get drunk? Sure, a drunk Niall is normally a happy Niall but Liam feels like a bad friend. He feels like he’s done something wrong. He runs around the condo a second time, and upon realizing that Niall is definitely not here, he runs to the car, shakes off his hangover, and drives back to the bar.

~*~

            Niall wakes up in a bed that does not belong to him.

            His head is pounding and the hangover is so bad he thinks he may vomit.

            An eerily familiar voice comes from the other side of the room, “Horan, I thought you knew how to handle your alcohol better than this,”

            Niall doesn’t believe it. In fact, he tells himself that he’s just crazy. That voice from across the room isn’t Zayn’s. It can’t be. They moved away from each other so many years ago. They were never supposed to see each other. Ever again. But Niall’s head still snaps up and turns to face the voice. He can’t believe his eyes. In the corner of the room is Zayn. He’s looking even better than the last time Niall saw him, and his jaw line is even more defined. He’s smirking a little bit, and Niall thinks he got a few more tattoos on his arms. But then Niall stops thinking about Zayn’s tattoos and starts thinking about the fact that Zayn is fucking here. Right across the room. Niall doesn’t know what to say or do. Honestly, he wants to run to Zayn and kiss him hard and long or jump his bones and take him to bed.

            “Why are you staring at me like you’re seeing a ghost, Niall?” Zayn asks. His voice is smooth and soft and Niall feels like an idiot because he can’t stop staring. “Are you okay?”