Fifteen [Confusion and Stitches]

Niall wakes up and there is so much screaming going on. Just seconds ago he was fast asleep cuddled into his amazingly soft bed and then this happens. He doesn’t know who the voices belong to but then he recognizes one, his dad. Niall’s eyes snap open and jumps from the bed. Why is his dad at the house and why is he yelling at someone? Niall listens for the other voice and then freezes. It’s Zayn.

            Niall sprints down the steps and his heart jumps into his throat. His father is growling at Zayn, who is pinned in the corner of the living room looking as though he may cry.

            “Dad!” Niall screams, running towards them and pulling his father away from Zayn, “What the hell are you doing?” Niall is worried about how his actions are later going to look in his father’s eyes. But right now he has to worry about his father actually hurting Zayn. He doesn’t care what his father thinks.

            “You want to know what I’m doing?” His father screams, “This fucking thief was in your house raiding your kitchen! He was halfway into the fridge and rummaging around, probably for booze. He smells like cigarettes which probably means he smokes and does drugs too. This kind of trash is the trash I don’t want you hanging around. He’s disgusting,”

            Niall looks at Zayn’s scared expression and then assesses him. He’s wearing a black hoodie and black skinny jeans, fit to cloth a thief. Not to mention there is a little bit of his tattoos peaking out behind his clothes. Niall rolls his eyes and grabs Zayn’s shoulder, “This is my friend. His name is Zayn. And, father, he’s allowed to take things from my fridge. It’s okay,”

            Mr. Horan freezes and looks immediately confused, “Niall, please tell me this man isn’t your friend,”

            “No, dad, stop it. I’m allowed to pick the people I hang out with, okay? I want to hang out with Zayn. He’s a good guy. He helped turn Urban Ink around. Stop being so rude to him, he helped me save your ass,” Niall feels so angry. His father has pushed him around for his entire life. He’s been so strict, so angry, so direct with his beliefs. Niall is sick and tired of it. He’s sick and tired of his attitude. The way he buys stores and shops and restaurants that he hates just so he can earn more money. Niall is tired of being bossed around.

            “He is helping to run my business?” Mr. Horan is so angry.

            Niall knows he has really made a mistake and that he’s really going to get himself in trouble. But with all of these emotions surfacing like this he can’t stop himself. Suddenly, Mr. Horan steps towards Niall and stares towards his arm, “Is that…Is that a real tattoo?”

            Shit, Niall had completely forgotten about the tattoo on his arm and he looks to his father just in enough time to see his fist come in contact with his face.

            Niall’s never been hit by his dad before, this one is a first, and the pain swelling up in his head makes him want to vomit. The world goes fuzzy but he hears his father stomp out of the house.

            “Niall, fuck, Niall are you okay?” Zayn is on his knees beside him, gently stroking the side of his face, “That’s going to need stitches, I think,”

            There is a large cut on Niall’s forehead and it runs down his right temple, “Shit,” Niall feels like the world is spinning.

            “C’mon, let’s head into the ER and patiently wait our turn to get you stitched up, okay?” Zayn helps Niall up and supports him all the way to the car.