13

the second monday

i hadn't left the room, and brendon hadn't checked in on me.

i put my guitar down, crawling under the covers as a small sob escaped my throat.

"brendon?" i sent through the walkie talkie.

"yes?" he asked, his voice sounding small and terrified.

"where are you?" i asked, wiping a stray tear away from my cheek.

"i may or may not be in the hospital" he said casually.

"what?!" i screamed, throwing myself out of bed and slipping on my doc martens underneath my baggy sweatpants.

"amber i'll be okay" he said.

"shut up!!" i screamed, throwing the walkie talkie across my bedroom, it hitting a framed photo of brendon kissing my cheek when we were 8.

how was i going to get the door open?

i threw myself against it, no luck.

the guitar i never used stared at me, and with every last bit of strength i could, i threw it at the door, creating a hole in it.

i couldn't stop crying as i broke down my door, sprinting down the stairs and running out the front door.

my dad must be at the hospital.

there was no car so i grabbed my bicycle, pedaling in the heavy vegas rain through the neon lit streets to the hospital.

-

i got in the hospital room, my hands dripping blood from when i knocked the door down.

"amber" brendon said, sitting up in the bed.

he looked terrible.

he had a long scratch across his face, and all down his arms and the rest of his body.

"i'm fine" he choked out.

"no you're not" i said, my head in my arms as i sobbed hysterically.

"please don't cry" he said, sniffling. "when you cry i cry"

"what'd they do" i said, my voice louder

"it's not important" he mumbled

"what did they do!" i screamed, my voice cracking.

"i was going to get us some burgers so i could drop one off to you, but they ran my car off the road and it nearly killed me" he said, shaking his head.

i sobbed, my head resting on the edge of the hospital bed.

"we're gonna be fine, don't worry" he said, holding my cold, bloody hand.

"even i have to die to make sure you're fine" is the last thing i heard before i cried myself to sleep