12

the first sunday

prom was in a week, safe to say i went shopping a week before.

all the girls had been salivating over their dresses for months, me having no idea what i was going to wear.

liz was dragging me to get a dress, sadly jessie having to tag along.

"it's gonna be beautiful on you!" liz shrieks, walking in to the dress shop.

i already had the dress chosen, we were picking it up.

it was champagne, and had a long slit up the leg. it wasn't me and it wasn't my choice, but i doubted i would make it to prom.

oh well

the ride home was long and painful, mainly because jessie was bitching about some guy she chose to call brandon but we both knew it was brendon.

"we were out on a date, he told me he didn't feel the same way and was in love with someone else!" she said, throwing her long arms in the air.

liz looked at me, me shrugging in response and the car rolled up to my house.

"see ya" i said, slamming the door harder than normal and trudging up the sidewalk, my doc martens slapping against the wet pavement.

as i got in my house, i heard queen blasting from my bedroom.

brendon was here.

i walked in my room to see him in plaid pj pants,  Christmas socks, and a grey hooded sweatshirt with the bourbon room logo on it.

he balanced on my bed, attempting to remove the big shelf off my wall that held all of my snow globes he got me each year.

"what the hell are you doing?" i asked, throwing my dress on my desk chair and kicking off my wet boots.

"saving your life" he said simply, placing the shelf and all the snow-globes in my closet.

"what?" i asked, taking off my green raincoat to reveal my tight grey t shirt, leggings, and bright pink socks.

"you're gonna stay in here all week" he said, removing every sharp thing i owned from my shelves and throwing it in a box in my closet.

"what the hell???" i asked, looking at him in his thick rimmed glasses.

"i was sleeping" brendon said, standing up and towering over me.

"and? you sleep all the time, duntz"

"i woke up with a snake slithering up my chest" he said nonchalantly, locking my closet door.

"and you didn't call me?" i asked angrily

"nope" he smirked, dumping the contents of a rite aid bag on my counter.

inside was my favorite candy (kit kats), a box of tampons, gatorade, water, a few movies, and a walkie talkie.

"you need anything you have this" he said, showing me how to turn the walkie on.

"what do you mean?" i asked, standing up

"you're not going out of this room. i'm taking all of the pain" he said, "this was my fault."

"but brendon!-"

"no, please amber stay in here and don't leave unless you have to. your dad agreed to let you skip the week" he said

"but prom is the second sunday" i said

"if nothing too terrible happens, you can go to prom." he said, his hand on my cheek.

"i love you" i said, my eyes brimming with tears

he shut me up, kissing me for real.

it wasn't sloppy like the kiss at the party that screwed us over, it was long and what we've been waiting for ever since he realized he loved me in the sixth grade.

"i love you too" he said, wiping a tear from my eye.

"i'll be back to check on you" he added, "and remember"

he was right about to shut my bedroom door that was adorned with posters

"you'll always be my girl"