9

The first Thursday.

the car ride to school was awkward.

brendon ate his granola bar, angrily tossing the wrapper in the back seat.

"so..how was last night" i mumbled

"fine" he said, wiping a crumb off the corner of his mouth with his sweatshirt sleeve.

"oh" i said.

the car was dead silent, until brendon turned his car into a detour. the main route was blocked by an accident.

"she tried to kiss me" brendon blurted out, my heart sunk.

"oh" i said again, my voice breaking.

"is that all you fucking say??" brendon said randomly, instantly regretting it.

"considering you went out on a date with that bitch, yes. that's all i have to fucking say!" i exclaimed, crossing my arms.

the route didn't look familiar.

"seriously amber? why do you give a shit?" he said, scoffing and looking at me in annoyance.

"yes seriously." i said, not bothering to answer his question.

"amber i've been in fucking love with you since the first grade and you haven't even noticed! you're so unable to realize someone's in love with you because you don't have the capacity to love someone! you're fucking perfect! i tried to go out with jessie because i wanted to get over you!" he screamed, angrily running a hand through his hair.

"are you joking? you must be kidding. is this some kind of prank? did you fucking read my diary?" i said, turning to face him.

"what?" he said, making the weirdest facial expression.

"my fucking diary states that it's been me who's been in love with you that long, asshole!" i said, tears filling in my eyes.

"what?" he said, his expression softening. he nearly smiled.

"oh, what is all you can say?" i said, leaning back in my seat, my head in my hands.

"i had no idea- im telling you the truth" he said.

i was about to reply when we realized something.

this wasn't the way to school.

brendon tried to slam the gas, but the car broke down.

"what the hell?" i said.

"just get out, i can see what's happening in the engine" he said.

i pushed the door, and it wouldn't open.

"it won't open" i said, turning to brendon.

he started coughing as smoke filled the car.

"what the hell!" i screamed, banging harder on the windows as brendon and i hacked up lungs.

brendon punched at the window, resulting in him having even more bloody knuckles.

i finally popped my window open, me and brendon diving into the pavement.

"fuck!!!" he screamed, looking at all the scrapes on us.

"shit" i said, and that's when i threw up.

i threw up blood.

"god fucking dammit" i said, brendon holding my hair back.

at that point, me and him must have lost a lot of blood because we both threw up so much of it.

that's when i grabbed his arm, running in the opposite direction of school and straight back to brendon's house