Chapter Eleven

The Name's Sinner - Chapter Eleven

Eddie Hiwan, that will be my new name, and my new identity. Just yesterday I had my hair coloured an even darker shade of brown, so now it looks black. I've also been working on my back story. I've decided that I'm going to be a 23 year old, graphic design student, with Vietnamese in my family background. I will also be studying at the University of Adelaide. It's coincidentally the same course and Uni my good old friend Maddy is in. My plan to have her fooled is all coming together nicely.

Kate had also oh so kindly supplied me with a small tracking and recording device, that she had nicked from her old man. We'd decided to bug Maddy in the hopes that she would lead us to Eva.

I was currently standing outside the building, waiting for her to arrive. When she finally did, I waited a couple minutes outside and then followed her in. Once I entered, I couldn't help grinning at the sight of an empty seat right beside her. This is all coming to together nicely indeed.

"Hey," I greeted, sitting down.

"Hi," she replied, with a small smile. "Are you new?"

"Yeah, I changed over from an old course. I just wanted something more creative, you know?"

She nodded. "You made a good choice, you'll love it here."

Soon the lesson began and Maddy couldn't have been more wrong; it was so mind numbly boring. I didn't care about stupid graphic design, I would much rather watch paint dry than waste another second here. Every time I got bored I found myself glancing over at Maddy. How could she find this interesting? Why couldn't she be interested in forensics or like something...I don't know..less boring?

The lesson finally did end, and it couldn't have come quickly enough. I was going to make my next move on Maddy, until she turned to me and made everything a whole lot easier.

"Um, this might sound weird, and a little too soon, but I was thinking if we could head to the art gallery. It's just across the main road and there's a whole new collection of digitally crafted designs, and I've been meaning to go-"

"I think that's a great idea," I cut off, hiding an evil smirk.

"Really?" She questioned, obviously surprised.

"Yeah, I think it'd be really cool."

"Okay, I'm just going to text my roommates and tell them I might get home a little later."

I nodded, as I packed my books away and started planning out my next move. At the gallery I would have to pretend to have at least some interest in something as uninteresting as art. I decided that saying things like, 'Ah, I like this one,' and 'This painting is absolutely marvelous,' in very exaggerated tones would help disguise my hatred for it.

"Alright, let's go," she cheered, slumping her bag across her shoulders. "It closes at four, so we can stay there for around half an hour."

"Awesome, I can't wait to see them." In my life, I have told a truck load of lies, but none of them come close to topping this one.

******************************************************

We had been at the gallery now for no more than ten minutes and my brain was already decaying from boredom. We came across a picture of a man's silhouette, and I hadn't complimented a piece of 'art' since we passed the graphic of a broken bridge a while ago, so I felt obliged to compliment this next one.

"Ah, I absolutely adore this one!" I gasped over dramatically, trying to look interested.

Maddy erupted in a fit of laughter, as did everyone else in the surprisingly packed art gallery.