Delayed Awakening - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

She turned her back to him and walked out of the school grounds. She took a deep breath and waved for a taxi. One was nearby and responded. The taxi driver came out and put her luggage in the trunk of the car while she took her seat inside. She did not once look at Alex whose eyes never left her, only when the taxi went out of sight did he stop.

In the taxi, Hannah's phone would not stop ringing. It was always Brody who was calling her. Repeatedly, she refused to answer. She needed time to think before talking to him. Yet, she did not switch her phone off. She just left it ringing. She wanted to see if he would give up, but he did not. She soon got irritated but still left it as it was. The taxi driver glanced at his passenger.

"Aren't you going to pick up that phone? It's been ringing for a very long time." He said.

"No." She replied. The taxi driver was about to say something else, but then he saw a tear leak down the side of her face and kept his mouth shut for the rest of the ride.

When they reached her house, she paid her fee, took her luggage, and headed for the house. The taxi drove off after checking the amount of money she gave him. She took out her keys and opened the door. She walked in and found the house empty. She took a deep breath and let it out. She brought her bags up to her room and shut the door. She leaned against the door, crying, she sunk to the bottom. She felt like her world was falling apart, and she was all alone in it. Everybody she loved, all taken away by somebody else.

Her phone rang again. She pulled it out of her pocket and looked at it. It was Brody again. She felt like throwing it at the wall and let it break to pieces, but she did not. She wiped away her tears and hesitated to answer the call. She flipped open the phone answering the call and put it on speaker, but did not say a word.

"Hannah? Hannah. I know you're angry with me... but thank you for deciding to hear me out. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner... that I was engaged... and that I was a vampire... I was going to tell you everything today, and if you still accepted me, then I'd bring you to my house for dinner, and I'd tell my parents that you're the only one I'm marrying, not Lindsay, and there's nothing they can do to change that. I was so scared that you wouldn't accept me... even now... I don't know for sure if you have or haven't," He waited for a response, but she said nothing, "Will you please say something?" Hannah stayed silent for a while more, thinking of what to say.

"Do you know what happened to me today?"

"No. I don't."

"I'll tell you. This morning I was targeted by Ellen and a group of people suspected to be vampires, and then I met a group of people who claimed to be werewolves, and said that the only reason that I might be targeted by the group of vampires is that I am a werewolf too, but I am not. Then you came, and all my troubles went away. Then all of a sudden, my world starts crashing down on me all over again. All of a sudden, you're a vampire, and you're engaged to another vampire! A guy suspected to be a vampire followed me to the gate of the school and told me we're true soul mates. He also told me that if I walked out of the school with the intent of never coming back, the next time I do come back, I will be hunted and killed," Hannah on the verge of breaking out in tears again took a breather to calm her shaky voice, "How do you think all that made me feel? Huh?"

A knocking sound came from the direction of the window, and Hannah looked up. She saw Brody crouching outside on the window sill.

"Can you open up?" He asked through the phone. Hannah wiped away the leaking tears and got up. She opened the window and he jumped onto the floor. He wrapped his arms around her and she broke into another sob.

"I'm so scared, Brody..."

"It's alright now. It's alright. We'll solve everything. Together, like we used to." He whispered in her ear. She nodded crying.