Delayed Awakening - ch33-34

Chapter 33  

Mr. Collin’s head snapped up at the scent of blood. Brody’s blood.

He was carrying Hannah’s mother in his arms to the car waiting outside the front doors of the school. He thought he should go back to see what was happening but thought otherwise. His job right now was to get Hannah’s mother back home. He placed Catherine in the car then sat next to her, being her shoulder to sleep on.

The ride was a fast and quiet one. By the time they reached Catherine’s house, the fire that had been burning brightly and greatly before had already become a small one, dying out without fuel. The left over ashes of the bodies of the dead ravages lay scattered around the fire.

Mr. Collin immediately recognised the signs. The splattered black blood on the ground, the windows, the burning fire with scattered ashes, the scratches on the wood and windows, the missing door knob – the signs of rabid vampires. Where are the ones that got rid of them? How many were there in the first place? There seems to be a lot of blood.

The driver rang the doorbell for Mr. Collin and for a while there was only silence, then the door opened. Cleo took a look at Catherine, and then asked what happened to her.

“Hannah, her daughter, has a lot of power which at the moment doesn’t have a proper hold upon. Her emotions influenced them, and caused her to use her powers on her own mother. Just a stare caused this.” Mr. Collin said, looking down at Catherine. He brought Catherine in, and saw Shane sprawled, asleep, across the sofa.

“He got attacked by a rabid vampire. He’s a werewolf. Catherine’s son and Hannah’s brother.” Cleo briefly explained.

“And you are?” Mr. Collin asked, after placing Catherine in an armchair.

“Zaft. Cleo Zaft. I was called in to help take care of Shane,” she said, pointing at Shane, “and to teach him the ways of a werewolf.”

“In that case, I take it he’s a fresh one?”

“Yes, just this afternoon in fact.”

“This afternoon?” Mr. Collin said, his eyes widening slightly, “When?”

“I’m not sure exactly when, but it was most likely around noon. By the time I was called here, it was already around half past twelve.”

“Could it be?” Mr. Collin whispered to himself.

“Could what be?” Cleo asked.

Could it be? The prophecy known among the werewolves... but not among the vampires... It’s a prophecy hardly anyone believes... but is it true?

‘A vampire and werewolf,

United by blood,

Sister and brother

Will together,

Bloom from innocent buds.

Before they bloom,

They will seem the same,

Afterwards, they are both

Creatures of the night,

Neither anymore tame.

Leaders of their new found race,

They will become,

Separation will be

A thing of the past,

And they will once again become one.

To defeat a threat

The whole world faces,

Three races will join in hand

And fight

Till the time it ceases.’

Chapter 34

Shane’s eyes flicked open and he leapt for Mr. Collins. His mouth wide open in a snarl, his eyes filled with undeniable hatred. Big yellow teeth and two pairs of fangs occupied his mouth, as his jaw broadened and claws took place of his nails. Thick fur ran down his whole body except for his face which turned very pale.

His lust and hunger for blood and raw meat were overtaken by an instinctual hate for vampires. Werewolf blood was mostly what ran within him. Vampire blood was like an unwanted addition in his body.

He would have gotten to Mr. Collins if Cleo had not seen him coming and stopped him in time. Shane’s huge claws dug into Cleo’s arm in attempt to make her let go of him. Cleo was being pushed, nearer and nearer to her human limit.

“Get away.” She growled at Mr. Collins as she changed into her werewolf form. Mr. Collins’ head snapped up, but he stood his ground, ready to fight.

“It’s alright. I can handle him. I’ve handled many fresh ones like him before.” Mr. Collins declared.

“He’s DIFFERENT! YOU CAN’T HANDLE HIM!!! Now LEAVE!!!” Cleo roared. Cleo changed into her full form and managed to push Shane down on to the sofa and keep him there while Mr. Collins left in the car.

“Why?” Shane growled through his teeth, as he struggled under her, “Why didn’t you let me go after that filth?!”

“Calm down,” Cleo growled right back, “You’re not yourself. Relax.”

Shane glared at her with his eyes which were now a dark shade of violet. Bits of blue stood out amongst the violet.

Under the restraint of Cleo’s body, Shane slowly calmed down and turned back to normal. Cleo too turned back but remained on top of him.

“Get off me.” Shane said. Cleo looked into his eyes then stepped cautiously onto the floor as though ready to stop him if he decided to run.

Hm... he looked like an angel when he was sleeping... awake he’s like a fierce beast... definitely the work of the werewolf.

Shane tried to stand up, and nearly crashed into the table in front of him. Cleo supported him and seated him back on the sofa but before she could make him sit down, he pushed her hands away and used the arm of the sofa for support instead. He stood there with one hand on his head, as he winced in pain. His body was shaking slightly, enough to be noticed.

“What’s happening to me?” He groaned.

“Your body is struggling to survive because you have the blood of both vampire and werewolf. You need to learn how to control them, your inner vampire and werewolf. You have to be in control. You are more powerful than them. Take control.” Cleo spoke to him as though they were in a hypnotism therapy session. Her voice was clear and firm.

Shane took her words in like the air he was breathing. Then he suddenly flinched upwards and roared. Not a roar of a wolf or a vampire, but of a human. His breathing was harsh, much harsher than before, but he was not shaking anymore. His feet were standing firm, he was in control.

“That’s it.” Cleo said, again in her clear and gentle voice, “Stay in control. Now, relax. Just your body first. Slowly. Let your tense muscles relax. Now slowly, sit down,” Shane slowly sat down, “Yes, that’s it.” He’s controlling them surprisingly well... Normally fresh ones would take at least a good four to five hours to calm down and be able to control themselves.

Shane suddenly roared once more, as though losing control, and his claws lengthened, and he flung his hands to the sides. His claws left his hands and embedded themselves into the wall. He had not lost control. He gripped his hands tightly, and his body returned to his human form. He had firm control over what was within him, but energy had been sapped out of him. He collapsed on to the sofa, unconscious once more.