Delayed Awakening - Chapter Four

Chapter 4

Lisa frowned at Hannah's stressed out thinking face and left her to it. Hannah leaned against the wall and sunk down to the floor. Ben glanced over to Hannah.

"What'd you say?" Ben asked Lisa.

"I told her about my theory of Ellen and her crew being vampires."

Hannah looked up to where Lisa and Ben were sitting.

"But that doesn't explain why I was targeted by Ellen." Hannah said stopping the chatter. Everybody turned to look at her. Nobody spoke, then Maria started to open her mouth.

"Can you keep a secret?" Maria spoke quietly. Hannah nodded.

"The only reason that they stay away from us is because we're werewolves." Giles said coolly. Hannah's eyes went wide, her throat dry. This school was getting too absurd for her to comprehend.

"Werewolves?" Hannah whispered. They nodded.

"The only reason that they might target you is..." Lilly did not have to finish the sentence. It had already formed in Hannah's mind.

"That you're a werewolf too." Jake spoke for the first time opening his eyes, waking from his nap. He got up and walked to Hannah. He held out a hand to her. She looked up and took his hand. As she stood up he explained some more.

"They don't like us werewolves to band together, because together, we can stand up to them."

"But... But... I'm not a werewolf." Hannah responded.

"You're not?"

"I'm not." She shook her head. With that comment, she was met with shocked faces.

"Then... I have no explanation as to why you would be targeted by Ellen. Unless..."

"Unless?"

"I don't suppose you're a vampire hunter are you?"

"No! Of course not! I don't even believe vampires exist!"

"Okay... then, are you religious?"

"Nope."

Silence filled the room once more. Nobody knew what to say or as to how to answer Hannah's question as to why she was being targeted by Ellen and her crew who were suspected to be vampires. Hannah let go of Jake's hand and walked to the door. With her back facing them she asked, "What do you think would happen if I walked right up to her and asked why she was targeting me?"

They stayed silent.

"You're better off not asking. You don't know what they're capable of." Jake advised. Hannah shut the door on her way out of the room. She could not believe what was happening. She made a bad choice coming to this school.