delayed awakening - ch21

Chapter 21    

Alex lay on his side, still gasping. His instincts took over. He fought with all his might to awaken the vampire within him. He roared with nothing but his pure will to fight. He was now on his back. His fangs started to protrude. His hair started to grow wild and as red as the colour of blood. His body suddenly bulked, and his face went white without the need to breathe anymore. His hazel eyes changed to a glowing bright red.

He could feel the power taking over. The virus inside him was losing. Its presence was diminishing, but it still stayed. Alex fought on, letting the vampire in him viciously attack it. The presence was so small now, just a couple more minutes and it would die. Or would it? Alex did not know for sure, but even if it did not die, but just stayed weak, it would do, as long as he was not taken over.

At the near end of the last few minutes, it shouted out.

“Alright! Alright! I admit you’re strong! Nobody’s been able to do that to me, not even a vampire. You are the first that I have encountered who was able to transform mid way of the process of me taking over and attack me time and time again. Seriously… your vampire is VICIOUS!!! Ugh!!! Get him away from ME!!! Ahhh!!! It attacked me again!!! I’m going to DIE!!!” there was the sound of something crumbling and falling to the floor, then silence. Had Alex managed to defeat the virus?

“Uh. Ahem. Hello? Are you there?” Alex asked hesitantly. He was shocked by the fact that this thing was able to talk, and did not know how to communicate it. Speak out loud? Think?

He heard a muffled cough coming from inside of him.

“Yep. I’m here,” There was a pause, “As I was saying, you are the strongest I have ever encountered and now I’m stuck in your body, with no way out. And that bloody blood thirsty vampire keeps attacking me!!! Mind you, I can’t actually die… All you’re doing by slashing me to bits is just weakening me. You’re spreading bits of me all over the place. It dirtied the walls with me. Sigh. How am I going to clean all this up with only this tiny little bit of me now, huh?! Yeah, I’m talking to you! You annoying, irritating, MALICIOUS, BLOOD THIRSTY VAMPIRE!!!”

Alex wanted to laugh at the fact that he was talking to this thing, and also at the fact that his vampire was giving the virus so many problems, but he did not know how this thing would react to his laughter. Would it think of him as weak? Vulnerable? Naive?

There were sounds of another attack, and the sounds of nails scraping walls. Then was another moment of silence.

“Why, oh why, do I have to live with this!!! Ahhh!!! I knew I chose the wrong person to enter this time!!! DAMN IT!!!” It shouted in frustration.

“Hey, hey, hey. What did you mean when you said you can’t leave?” Alex asked, suddenly recalling what the virus had said earlier.

“I can’t leave because your bloody vampire slashed me to pieces!!! I need to be WHOLE to be able to leave. I need to defeat this bloody vampire to leave. I thought I could defeat it, then do whatever I wanted, and leave when I felt like it. But now I can’t!!! And it’s all because of this BASTARD!!!” It shouted in anguish.

Alex looked up to the night sky and sighed deeply. He looked back down and noticed the crumpled body of the driver, and realised that the driver was most likely dead. Alex grimaced with disgust and sympathy as he looked upon the driver. The driver was facing the ground, his body was still, he’s skin looked white and somewhat shrivelled, like the body had been dead for years. Alex squatted down and put two fingers to the driver’s neck. It was his first time touching a body to check if it was dead, but there was no fear other than the fear of the driver coming back to life as some sort of killer zombie. His fingers hesitated at the last moment, centimetres away from the driver’s skin. The driver’s body started to shake. Alex quickly backed away. The body started making noises, like a chemical reaction was happening in it, that very moment.