Delayed Awakening: Part One - Ch25-27

Chapter 25

The noise had stopped. Chloe wondered what was happening inside Hannah’s mind. What she saw. What bad memories she was reliving. Hannah’s eyes slowly opened.

“That was the night my father died.” She whispered as she looked down at the seams of her top blanket. Tears leaked out the sides of her eyes. She turned to look at Chloe. She looked like a helpless little girl... like how she was meant to look on that night but did not. The tears were an unstoppable flow now, as she mourned for her father the way she should have that very night. The memories of that night were memories that she had worked hard to force away, deep down inside. She had lived on as though she had not been there, and that her father had died a normal death, the way everyone else said he did. The lie that was made to the human world, she had forced onto herself as the truth.

“Daddy...” she cried, using the same name she knew her father by when she was only a young child, “Daddy... Daddy... Why’d you have to go? Why’d you leave me in this world? Why???”

Hannah started to transform, as she howled in sadness. Her hands and feet now had claws and fur, her hair grew wild and her eyes turned bluish. Chloe rushed to open the door, once she did, she yelled out for Mr. Collin. He was in the canteen having a cup of coffee, and immediately started running at the sound of Chloe calling his name. He got there in time to see the finishing touches of Hannah’s transformation. Hannah’s own set of fangs had shown themselves for the first time, and there were slits in Hannah’s back where she was bleeding, as though there was something that should have come out, but did not.

Could it be? Mr. Collin thought as he saw the slits in her back, Nah, couldn’t be. She’s a hybrid, not a full blood.

Hannah was on her knees, facing the window, where the sunlight was pouring in. The blood dripped down from her back on to her bed, staining the sheets while her pure and sorrowful tears poured out from her eyes, wet the blankets. The bed, now filled with her blood and tears, was the resting place for her body while her mind was in a mental battlefield, fighting her deepest and darkest memories. Mr. Collin walked forward to put a hand on her shoulder. The noise had stopped, but the disturbing nevertheless true image of her as a child dragging her dead father lingered in her mind.

“It’s alright now. Isn’t it?” Mr. Collin asked Hannah gently and softly. Hannah turned to face Mr. Collin, her mouth open, and her fangs exposed. Chloe saw the fangs and worried for Mr. Collin’s safety.

“Mr. Collin, don’t you think it’s dangerous to be so close to her at a time like this? We don’t know if she has control over herself or not.” Chloe spoke with a shaky voice. Mr Collin patted Hannah’s back.

“You’ll be fine. Won’t you?” Mr Collin said, continuing with his soft tone. In silence, Hannah turned away, back to facing the sunlight, staring into space.

“Chloe, can you get some towels?” Mr. Collin asked. Chloe nodded and walked out of the room. Mr. Collin could hear her echoing footsteps fading as she got further away. Mr. Collin was tempted to take a bit of Hannah’s blood and examine it, but he did not have anything to put the blood in. Her blood was dark red, the dripping was less, but blood still leaked out of the slits in her back. He gently reached out his fingers to the slits, and brushed them with his fingertips. Hannah flipped around and snarled furiously at Mr. Collin, baring her fangs, like a wounded animal without much strength left. Mr. Collin backed away with his hands up in surrender. Hannah’s breathing calmed down and she started to transform back into a human. The slits in Hannah’s back though, still stayed. Chloe soon returned with the towels to clean Hannah’s bloody back.