delayed awakening - ch20

Chapter 20

Mr. Early Forties took out his handkerchief and wiped the blood off his face and hand. He got up and walked to Hannah as she stopped howling. He squatted down to her level and put his unharmed hand on her shoulder. She looked to him with eyes of pure sorrow. He gave her a comforting smile.

“This is why you need to come with us.” He said gently and held his hands out to her.

This girl is different. None of these little brats have ever been able to lay a scratch on me other than that one kid who’s now a high class hunter and observer. This girl has a bright future ahead of her... but she definitely needs help to understand this world.

Hannah reached out her hand, but drew it back, afraid to hurt him some more, and got up her own way. As she stood, she noticed a figure in the trees, but as she walked closer to see, the figure sped away. She assumed that her eyes were just playing tricks on her, and walked on behind the men. The figure that was watching them was Peters.

The homeless man sat on his bench, distraught, with his mouth open. He tried to make himself believe that this was all a dream. He watched the girl and the three man leave. He did not notice the figure sitting in the trees among the shadows. The homeless man lay back down after the small group disappeared into the night. He closed his eyes, to hopefully wake from this dream, but he would not need to hope, for his mind would be made to think that this was a dream.

Peters emerged from the trees and walked over to the homeless man. He placed his hand over the man’s head and closed his eyes. When Peters opened his eyes, his job with the homeless man was done. The traces of Hannah and the three men ever being there in the park were gone.

<Back At The Motel>

Alex was sitting in his room, listening to the recordings and taking down notes. He knew that Hannah would be safe with them at the school, and that he would not need to worry about her, but the worry was with whether or not they managed to take her to the school safely.

She looked like she was in mid transformation when she jumped off the railing. Hope they’re okay. He thought. The things that he was hearing were shocking, but it was not like he had not heard it before. The vampire society also suspected that some sort of virus was going around, or some sort of new generation vampires. The most shocking thing was when he realised who was the vampire that was going to bite Hannah. Peters.

Peters’ room was next door, but he was not there. He had run. Where to, he did not know. Alex knew that he had to quickly finish up before Peters got back, because Peters saw him, and probably knew that he was listening in on their conversation. Alex finished up his notes and packed away the machine into a bag. He gathered up his things, and cleared all traces of him ever being there.

He walked out of the motel to find a car already waiting for him. He got in, and the car drove away. Silence filled the car. The wind blew in and the moon shone bright as Alex wound the window down. Alex leaned out the window, and let his hair fly wild. He stared at the trees as they passed by, in the empty road. They were one of the lone cars driving along this road, and if he called out, nobody would hear him, or come to his rescue if he needed help.

He thought he heard his driver say something. He brought his head back in.

“Did you say something? I didn’t hear you.” Alex said to the driver. The driver looked at Alex through the rear view mirror. Alex saw the reflection of the driver’s eyes in the mirror. He thought he saw the driver’s eye colour change to complete black… So black that you were absorbed by it when you looked into his eyes. Alex blinked, and the eye colour went back to what it was.

“I said, beautiful night, ain’t it?” the driver repeated his question. Alex looked out the wound down window.

“Sure is.” Alex replied. Then the car suddenly stopped, and the driver got out. Alex watched the driver come to his door and open it. Alex’s suspicions got stronger and surer.

“What’s going on?” Alex asked, his eyes fixed firmly on the driver who was standing right outside the now open right side of the car. The driver stuck his head in, his eyes completely black. He was grinning evilly.

“I’m sick of this body. How would you like to be my new body?” He sneered.

Alex’s suspicions were right. The driver was one of the ‘infected’ ones. Alex had not been part of a mission to capture one of them, but he had seen the photos caught in the nick of time.

The photos of the deep, dark, complete blackness and darkness in their eyes. He had seen the way they looked, just like normal people. He had heard the accounts, they would be doing something normal, then suddenly lash out at you. This was definitely one of them.

Alex felt around on the door behind him. He was now backed up to the other side of the car. He found the handle, and pushed it open. With super human speed, he got out. He was ready now. He was ready to fight. He was going to fight; he would not give up his body that easily. Come if it wanted, he was ready.

The driver walked round to Alex, and Alex backed away from him. He felt an aura surrounding the driver and there was something drawing him to look into the driver’s eyes. He tried to keep away, holding on to his fighting spirit. He had a feeling that if he gave in now, he would fail. His body would be taken over by this thing, and he would be considered as one of the ‘infected’. No. He would keep fighting, even if he could not stop himself from looking into the driver’s eyes. He would keep fighting until he could fight no more, until the last bit of breath and last bit of strength were gone from him.

Alex looked up into the driver’s eyes, unable to resist anymore. He was absorbed the driver’s eyes, and felt something enter his body. There was another being inside of him, and he could feel his presence very strongly. His body was reacting strangely against this foreign object. Alex had made up his mind to fight, but his body was not fighting. They were not even attempting to kick out this strange and unfamiliar thing. It was as if his body already gave up before trying.

Alex braced himself. He braced himself for whatever that was to come. He did not even know how he was going to fight this thing. What was it? He did not even know. He knew hardly anything about it, except for what he just found out. A thought popped up in his mind. If he was going to die here, he might as well let his society know what he had just found out, so that they would benefit from losing him, then his death would not have been a waste. He pulled out his mobile phone and started to do some furious typing. He typed every last bit of info he now knew, and sent it off, with it saying, “By the time you read this, I might be dead or taken over by ‘the virus’.”

Alex felt a sudden pain in his lungs. He could not breathe. He crumbled to the floor, gasping for air. He felt like he was being strangled, the air squeezed out of him. He needed to fight back now, but how?