Delayed Awakening - Chapter 17

Chapter 17

She finally reached him. With superhuman speed, he grabbed her and placed his hand over her mouth to stop her from screaming, but she screamed before he did, even with his superhuman speed, he could not stop her. A sharp piercing scream filled the air. The humans in their rooms fainted from the sound. Alex rushed out as he heard the sound, and hurriedly pulled Peters off her.

“STOP!!!” Alex yelled at the screaming Hannah. Hannah stopped in time to see Peters running away from the scene. Alex had caught a glimpse of Peters face, but did not bother to go after him.

“Hannah. Hannah? Are you alright? What was he trying to do?” Alex asked Hannah while holding her gently to stabilise her stance. Hannah stared blankly beyond him, and recalled what had just happened.

“I... I was just walking towards your room to see if you wanted to share dinner or something... then he just suddenly grabbed me and tried to put his hand over my mouth! I was so scared... I... Do you know who that was? I saw him peeking into your room through the window...”

Alex looked at her with shock echoing in his face. He shook his head and started to walk.

“I need to get you away from here. Let’s talk in your room instead.” Alex said and gently tugged her along. Hannah reluctantly followed him to her room. He opened the door for her, and quickly shut it as soon as they were both in it. Hannah sat on her bed and watched Alex pace.

“Alex, what’s going on? Who was that man?”

“That man was a vampire hunter. It looked like he was about to make a meal out of you... damn it... I must’ve missed something while I was away... shit...” Alex muttered, “If he was trying to make a meal out of you... it must mean that he could not sense the vampire blood in you...”

“What??? He was trying to make a meal out of me?? And how do you know that I’m part vampire??? What the hell is going on??? Tell me!”

“Listen to me, Hannah. The safest place for you to go is to that school. You’re under special protection there, unlike anywhere else you can go. You are not a full blood vampire, but you do have vampire blood, not to mention werewolf blood as well, and you would most likely have other special abilities that you don’t even know of, as you are now nearing the age where all teenagers that have any other genes in them other than human, start to show their hidden selves. You don’t know what you can do, Hannah. You need to go to that school so that you and the people around you can be safer, than when you are in the outside world by yourself. If what I’m thinking is right, I think you were facing a vampire just then, and you managed to scream, even though he had superhuman speed that would’ve stopped any normal human within a split second, but he didn’t manage to stop you. And that scream was nothing like I have ever heard before, for all I know, it could’ve killed all the ordinary people in the motel. Do you understand?”

Hannah was speechless. She did not know that she was such a danger to society. That a single scream might have killed all the people in the motel. She did not want to do that. She did not want to be a murderer. What is Alex saying to me? That I am evil? That I’m a threat to everyone around me? Is this what it means to be non-human???

Alex took his mobile phone out of his pocket and started to dial a number.

“Look, I’m going to call someone from the school to come and pick you up. Take your stuff, and go,” Alex put the phone at his ear and looked up, “Everything will be explained at the school, okay? Don’t worry, everything will be okay.” And gave her a feeble smile and walked out the door to get a better reception for the phone. Hannah watched him leave, and return. Her mind was a mess, a bigger than before. She had decided to run away, away from her home, from her school, and yet, this guy that she did not know, was telling her that she had to go back. Is it her destiny to go to that school and live the life of a vampire werewolf human hybrid along with all the other teenagers like her?

I... I don’t want to go back there... I don’t want to have to face people like that... not yet... I need time... time to be alone. Time to think... time to let my mind at least grasp the surface of what is happening to me... what is happening around me... so much to comprehend... It’s like I’ve only taken one step on to the beach, and I’m already drowning. I need to breathe, yet there’s no air. All I see is the water and dangerous sea creatures at every turn and every corner. Things that I never used to see, never used to have to face, all suddenly pushed in front of me to overcome. Don’t these people understand that not all teenagers can cope with this kind of stress?

Hannah thought that if she could not stay there in the motel, she would run away from there. She would restrict herself from being in contact with people; she would be much more careful and cautious. Yes, she would try and run. But would she be able to get away?