Delayed Awakening - Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Hannah got up off the bed, and walked calmly to her bag on the floor. She picked it up and brought it to the bathroom. She had her plan mapped out in her head, and she was sure she could accomplish it. She once again placed her bathroom bag into her sports bag, and slung it over her shoulder. Walking out of the bathroom, she suddenly bent down to retie her loose and undone shoelace, then continued walking, and reached the door. As she grabbed the handle and pushed down, Alex put his hand over hers.

“Where are you going?” He asked gazing gently in to her eyes. Hannah looked back blankly, her eyes expressionless.

 “I dropped something on my way to your room. I’m going to get it back.” She replied calmly. Alex looked at her suspiciously, wondering if she might have had some other objective in mind instead of retrieving whatever she dropped.

“I’ll come with you.” Alex said. Hannah continued to look at him blankly then turned to look at the floor, then looked back at him.

“Do you think I’ll run away or something?” Hannah retorted, “Do you think that I’m a person who has turned into an evil vampire? Or has been absorbed by insanity? What do you think I am?!” Hannah glared at him, trying to look angry, but on the inside, she was afraid, afraid that her plan would fail, yet a part of her wanted the plan to fail, a part of her wanted to give in.

“I think that you are a frightened and confused teenager who is in danger and is a possible danger to the people around you. You need a place to stay, where you will feel safe and secure. You need time to understand what is happening. You need people to answer your questions. You need people you know you can trust. And to do that, first you have to listen to me, and go back to the school. Don’t even attempt to run away, because all that’ll do is put you in more danger. Please... just listen to me and go back to the school. I’ll be there to answer your questions as soon as I can. Please.” Alex looked at her with eyes filled with worry. He cared about her, but she did not know him, therefore did not know whether she could trust him.

“Alright.” She said and opened the door to go retrieve the things that she dropped. She walked briskly to the spot where she intended to go, and bent down, blocking Alex’s view of whatever she was retrieving. She soon stood back up, and ran. She ran as fast as she could to get away from Alex. She sprinted along the narrow corridor, with Alex yelling and running after her. She made it to the end of the corridor, then skipped down the stairs. She tripped and fell, and landed face first onto the floor, as she glimpsed the sign saying level 2.

Her fall gave time for Alex to catch up, and by the time she got back on her feet, she could hear his almost silent steps on the stairs of the flight before. She knew that he would reach her in a few seconds. A few seconds was all that she had. She flung open the door to level 2 and jumped off the closest railing. She felt the wind in her face. It was cold. The night was dark, but the moon was shining brightly. Alex flung open the door to level 2, just as Hannah had done before, just in time to see Hannah leaping off the railing. She’s crazy!!! He thought.

The first time that Hannah had jumped off from the second floor, had been one that she had prepared beforehand. She had been terrified when she missed the branch and fell. This time, all she had was her adrenaline. The wind had her black hair flying wildly, away from her face. Her grin was wide. Hannah’s personality had changed. She had become something else. She could feel the excitement running through her blood. Seeing the dark night sky stirred something in her. She loved the feeling. She forgot all about Alex who was standing by the railing watching her fall. She ignored the feeling of fear inside a part of her. She was living in the moment. She loved the freedom.

She watched the ground reach her. In her eyes, she was not going to it, it was coming to her. The things around her moved at a slow speed. When she reached the ground, she was ready to run, and sped off away from the motel. Details of the things around her were clearer to her than they ever could have been. She was a blur among the trees and bushes as she ran through the park. She was running at such a speed that would have been impossible for her, yet that was happening right then. There was a homeless man lying awake on a park bench, covered in newspapers. He saw Hannah as only a flicker of motion going past him. He heard barely anything, other than the rustle of the leaves which shifted at the speed of Hannah’s run.

He sat up, and searched around. He thought that he had just witnessed a running ghost, though he did not believe in such things, what just happened right in front of his very own eyes could not be ignored. Further down, there was another flicker of motion, and a figure of a man appeared out of nowhere. The figure stood still, as though he was expecting something... Expecting something to stop right in front of him.

Hannah’s grin faded as she saw the man appear ahead of her. She slowed to a stop as two other men appeared on her left and right. The three men were all wearing black suits. The one right in front of her was a man in his early forties. The two on her sides looked about nineteen or twenty. She was surrounded with only one direction to go. Backwards.

“Don’t waste our time, kid,” The man in his early forties said as the men on her right and left moved closer to her, “Be a good girl and come with us.”