Long-Distance

Annabeth opened the door to her room drearily, tossing her bag onto the floor and toeing off her shoes. Shutting the door behind her, Annabeth frowned as she peeled her wet clothing off her body. Of course the one day she missed the bus had to walk home it started to rain. It was only a 30% chance, so Annabeth thought it'd be fine. Judging from her wet clothes, it was not fine and her weather app was a liar. Annabeth glared at her window, which was fogged up with rain drops. Annabeth actually loved the rain; it was her favorite kind of weather- just not when it involved her getting drenched.

As Annabeth dried her hair and found a change of clothes, she saw her MacBook light up with an incoming call.

Incoming call from Percy, the message read. Annabeth hastily pushed accept and shoved her chunky white turtleneck sweater over her head.

"What's up Wise Girl?" came the voice of Percy, her boyfriend.

Annabeth smiled as she drank in his features. His jet black hair was messier than usual, which meant he had taken a nap. His sea green eyes were as bright and mischievous as ever, and his skin was smooth and tan, unusual for a New Yorker. He was wearing a blue hoodie she'd mailed him for his birthday- which was coming up soon. Annabeth frowned and her mood soured as she looked at Percy's lips. Since he lived in New York and Annabeth lived in California, it meant he could never put those lips to good use. That good use was kissing her.
Annabeth sat down at her desk, facing Percy.

"Why the long face Wise Girl? Bad day at school? I'll beat someone up for you." Percy rambled.

Annabeth chuckled, taking a sip of water from her thermos. "Seaweed Brain, you can't do that if you're here. But to answer your question, yes I guess I did have a bad day at school."

"What happened?" Percy asked, putting his hands behind his head, and unintentionally flexing (or was it intentional?).

Annabeth raised an eyebrow, trying to ignore the heat rushing through her. Clearing her throat, she started, "Well, my professor assigned us new seats and a new project, but my partner is a total tool. She doesn't know how to do any conversions and she can't get any of the dimensions right! It's a marvel she made it this far in life."

Percy chuckles, a sound that made Annabeth's heart beat a little faster. "Well that sucks Wise Girl. I'm sure your project will turn out perfect though, just like you."

Annabeth threw her head back and laughed. "Oh gods Percy, you are much too cheesy."

"But you love me."

"Yeah, I do." Annabeth's eyes softened as she reached out to touch her screen, like that would replicate Percy's warm skin.

"What's wrong Beth?" Percy only called her that when he was really serious.

Annabeth shook out of her stupor. "It's nothing, Seaweed Brain, really."

Percy arched a brow. "Beth please, just tell me."

Annabeth sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I miss you so much Percy. And I don't even know if that's the correct phrase because I've never even met you."

Percy got his sad eyes, the ones that broke Annabeth's heart. Percy and Annabeth had met about five months ago on a college chat room and connected instantly. Their emails evolved into texts, which eventually turned into FaceTimes. And as time went on, they started to develop feelings for one another. Annabeth had tried to stop herself, saying it was foolish to fall for a guy who lived across the country, but Percy was just so irresistible. Her relationship with her dad was strained for a while as he didn't believe Percy had good intentions, but they got over it with time after Percy proved he didn't have any bad intentions.