Chapter 43: Goodbye

Max - ???

"Looks like I have." I say, but Time still won't look at me. I take it as a small victory. Her head is ducked down, almost in shame, the next words don't come for some time.

"If you want me to be gone, I'll try to leave." She says, her voice is wavering and vulnerable, it tugs at my heart. Time sits on my bed like a wounded bird, all curled up in her own limbs, she looks... miserable. She knows she isn't wanted. That's right, I don't want her.

I stand taller, trying to make sure I don't look as defeated as I am. "That's right. Get out of here." I say, trying not to sound weak when I say it. With her chin ducked, Time looks up at me with shining eyes, she is scared.

"I just wanted to help, Max... please don't ditch me like this." Time whimpers, the glossiness of her eyes are tears. Oh, wow, yeah this is hard. I have to stare my own defeated face in the eye, and tell her to get lost. I mean, why does she care about me anyway? She can do just fine on her own. When my fist clenches, she flinches.

It wounds me to see myself like this, I try to shake off the feeling. I'm not actually talking to myself, I'm talking to a manipulative, evil, entity. I'm literally talking to Time. Once again, I almost laugh, despite the insane circumstances I'm under. I'm talking to Time.

"I need you, Max. You're my home." Time says, sniffling through her nose when she breathes in. Time is crying right in front of me.  My heart beats so fast it hurts. She is so pathetic, with her wounded animal look, and tears starting to stream down her cheeks. I'm doing this to her, I'm making her scared.

No, she is doing this to herself, by forcing her presence where it doesn't belong. I'm not the bad guy... right?

"Gone, and that's final." I repeat, forcing an edge into my voice. Time's wounded bird stance doesn't change, she is still afraid. I feel my back straighten even more, and I try to show her that I mean business. It's so hard to stay determined when she is looking at me like that.

Time's fingernail scratches against the bed post idly. "I just... I have never felt like I've belonged with someone more than you, Max." She says, voice cracking during some syllables. Oh boy, the pit feeling in my gut gets bigger. I never really did weigh in her feelings about this, did I?

No, I shouldn't have to. Time doesn't have feelings, it's not a human like me, it just wants to look like me, so I can give it sympathy. Well, I won't bend.

A loud, annoyed noise comes from Time. She corrects her submissive position stance so that she is sitting on the bed, with her back leaning against the wall. "They always fall for that one." She says, annoyance hanging on to every word. For some reason, I feel a little proud of myself.

With her 'woe was me' expression gone, Time Max continues to rub her fingernail claw against the bed frame. "If I have to do this the hard way, I will."

"No more games." I say, "get out of my head."

Time continues idly toying with the bed frame. "See, I totally would, but-"

"You promised!" I interrupt, the fear is settling into my bones.

"I promised nothing." Time Max says, looking right through me. "There was no deal, no 'shaking on it.' I just... sent you on an errand."

There is nothing I want more than to strangle her right here. My fingers curl into claws, waiting to be unleashed.

"That's not fair." I say, because it's all I can say right now.

Time laughs, back still leaning against the wall. "Nothing is fair, Max. That's just how it is."

"You-!" I start, but I change my mind. "Just leave me alone, I'm perfectly fine without you."