Chapter 38: Answers

Max - ???

There is only darkness.

No light.

No colours.

No shapes.

It's a black, empty, nothingness.

At first, I panic. I think I've been blinded. I see nothing but black. That is, until I look down at my hands, which are somehow perfectly visible in this void. I flex my fingers, making sure that I still have full control over my limbs, and I do. That does barely a thing to calm my raging nerves.

I take a hesitant step forward, walking on a hard surface that is invisible. Despite the all consuming nothingness, my nerves are overloaded. Every single one on fire, telling me to run, hide, scream. Instead, I take another step forward.

I keep moving, despite every muscle in my body trying to force me to be still. Tripping on what seems to be air, I try to maintain my footing on the invisible solid ground beneath my feet. Where does this all go, and does it have an end? I guess there's only one way to find out.

Gradually, it gets easier to navigate in the pitch darkness. I keep my hands in front of me at all times, just so I remember that I can actually see. My steps become more sure, until I'm walking as if it were a normal sunny day. My breaths are rapid, the noise of my panic swallowed into the dark abyss.

The silence is maddening. Is this just a blank void? That can't be. I have to press forward. My ears start to ring, trying to come up with some noise to fill the aching absence of all sound. If I have to be here for much longer, I think I'm going to go insane.

Strangely, my feet don't begin to feel sore after what feels like hours of walking. I don't feel anything. There's no breeze here, it feels like the temperature is leaning anyway one or another. Why am I even here, and where is here? I try to reach back into my memory, but I'm met with fistfuls of nothing. My chest tightens.

I wish I had Chloe here with me, she would know, she would know what to say. Chloe would guide me through this.

Anything you say, Max.

The voice is gentle, but the sudden sound is deafening.

Chloe?

Her voice, she's here. I search the emptiness for the blue haired girl, but she's not around. Was it just my imagination? I'm starting to go crazy here...

Come on, Max. Let's go!

"Where are you?" I call out into the abyss, trying to find her. "Why can't I see you?"

Her sweet laughter rings in my ears. Let's go.

The outline of Chloe's figure appears before me. A distinct outline of white against the petrifying darkness. Her colours are missing, her hair, her skin, her eyes, but her shape clear and edged. I reach out to grab her hand, and it fades through Chloe's shape. She's... not real?

Chloe's shape turns to look at me, her face featureless. She then turns around, and starts to walk through the darkness.

"Chloe..." I say, starting to doubt this.

Chloe's figure casts a brief glance at me over her shoulder, and keeps walking. I stumble to keep up with her.

"Where are we?" I ask, even though I don't hear my voice through the air. "Where are you taking me?"

You want me to guide you, right?

I follow, hesitant. I catch up to Chloe, walking shoulder to shoulder with her. She doesn't even acknowledge that I'm here, continuing to walk forward without a side ward glance. Once again, I reach for her hand, hoping I can actually hold on this time. But once again, her outline slides right through my skin. I feel a chill run through my body, starting at my wrist.