Chapter 32: The Voice

"I really don't see the point of this."

Warren frowns, setting down one scientific contraption before picking up another, surveying it as if he has never seen it before in his life. "Everything has a point, Max. Even if it isn't in plain sight."

I sigh, sitting back against the cold lab chair. "You said I was bound to die anyway. So there's no point."

"But there is."

"What is the point, then?" I say, getting agitated. Chloe seems to notice, and scoots closer. I try to ignore her the best I can. The grim reminder of my fate is visible on warren's face, his lips tighten into a straight line as he preps a needle that makes my stomach twist.

"We will see in time." Warren says dismissively, wiping down my bicep.

Chloe scoffs, "you mean you don't even know?"

Warren tries to find the right words, and Nathan shuffles silently under all the tension. "I do know, but it isn't clear yet, Chloe. We have to give it time."

"If you know, then tell us." Chloe barks, standing from her chair, the metal legs scratching on the tile floor.

The tension is so tight I can cut it with a knife.

"I..." Warren doesn't know. I know he doesn't know. His face is tight, his eyes swimming with an emotion I can't place. He has no idea, and he's scared.

"Let's drop it, okay? Forget I asked." I really wish we wouldn't, but at this point I'd do anything to stop the fighting around here. My head feels like it's suffered 1000 cuts, the voice in my mind has been shockingly quiet, and that makes me think that it's up to something. 

Chloe looks reluctant, but nods stiffly. Warren swallows, and goes back to prepping his needle. Nathan lets out a relieved sigh and goes back to putting his puzzle together. I don't even know where he found it, probably collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

Once finished, Warren explains his process to me, as always. But this time, he doesn't look at me. "I need some blood. It's easier for me to understand what's going on inside of you if I can have the stuff that belongs there."

Warren saying mundane words like 'stuff' is almost funny, if I had the mental capacity to have a simple sense of humour. But instead, my lips barely twitch into the ghost of a smile.

The prick of a needle makes me suck in a breath, and Chloe holds my hand. I wasn't always afraid of needles, unlike all the other kids. To me, needles were always temporary, a quick flash of pain, which was over before I even knew it. But now, now I can't bear them. Every time I see a needle, my mind flashes back to memories. Memories that are so old and buried that I'm surprised I still have them. 

Of course I still have them. No one would be able to forget a traumatic experience like that. Even if I was technically never subjected to it.

I ͢ca̛n̛ ͟ma͝k͜e ͡it̢ disa͏ppęar. ̧I͝ ͏ca̡ń ̛m̕a̴ke i͜t̶ ̴g̢o ͜a̵w͝a͟y͜ ͜f̢o͠re͢ve̢r̸.

Right on cue, when I thought maybe I could ignore it, here it is to bother me.

I ca͟n͘ h̢el͏p.̷ It wo͡n̴'t̡ h̢u̵rt ͘y̴ou an͏y̸m͝or̕e.̛

If I'm not mistaken, I can almost hear a hint of... sympathy, and love, in it. But the damn thing doesn't even have a tone to it's voice. No depth, or texture. Nothing to make it distinguishable, or recognizable. It just, exists within me. Maybe it is me.

Why? How? What will you do?

It'́s҉.͜.͜.͝ ćom̧pl҉ìcat̕ed͝.҉

Oh, no way. If you won't tell me. I won't do it. I can't believe I'm arguing with a power in my head. This is ridiculous.