Chapter 24: Downhill

"Alright Max, ti̸̕͜m̵̢e҉̸ to move out." Chloe calls from the living room of our apartment. From where I lay on the bed, I hear a groan of protest combating her commands.

"No arguing, we agreed on this. Come on." Chloe says, her voice still very clear despite being in a different room. Another groan.

"This has to be done, or we won't find shit, come on now." Chloe is on the edge of her sanity, she won't take any more of the arguing. But then no groans follow. Then I realize that it was me who was groaning. And I'm not actually on the bed in our room, I'm on the couch in the living room, right beside Chloe.

"Maxie, you agreed." Chloe is bent down in front of me, so we are face to face. When did I get here on the couch? Last thing I remember was being in bed. My brain has troubles remembering the events from me getting out of bed, to getting here. Let's see, I woke up to Chloe's alarm, watched her go to the bathroom to take a shower from my spot on the bed. Then... erm...

I don't remember anything else happening since then. I can't even recall Chloe getting out of the shower. Wow, my brain really is pooched, huh? That's why we are seeing the doctor today. Um... that doesn't sound right. That's why we are taking a day to go to the mall? Nope.

Chloe reaches down and pulls me up off the couch. "Ready?" She asks, "Warren won't like that we are running late."

Right, Warren. I know that.

Chloe grabs the keys to her car, and I double check to make sure I'm actually wearing clothes, because I don't remember putting them on. But, alas. There are clothes on my body, my usual getup of jeans and a t-shirt with my hoodie over top. The same general outfit that I've been wearing since I was a teenager.

Since I was naive.

"Man you really didn't get much sleep last night, did you?" Chloe walks with me out of the apartment, "you look like you're going to fall asleep while standing."

I force out a chuckle to make some sort of response to Chloe's words. I already forget what she said, I only remember that it was a question.

The car I'm suddenly rumbles to life. I guess I was so in my head that my legs just did everything without me commanding them too.

"We can take a nap after this if you want to." Chloe says, pulling out of our parking spot. "It sounds like a great idea, I was up late thinking, anyway." She muses, after I don't respond. Instead, I'm hyper focused on my heartbeat, it feels a little off. Too fast? Too slow? I don't know, only that it's off beat.

It's syncing with the t͝i͝m͡e̴ around me.

Chloe continues to speak, despite the fact that I'm not answering. It's as if she's having a conversation with herself. "I'm going to make sure I bring up my vision to Warren. He might want to hear it." Chloe takes one hand off the wheel to scratch her nose. "What do you think it was about?"

It takes me a moment to realize she was talking to me. But by then I forget the question, so I opt for my default answer for anything.

"I dunno."

Chloe sighs, and nods. "I just hope Warren can help me out. Help you out." Chloe's voice is full of excitement. Something I never really hear nowadays. I just nod with my eyes half closed. The car is silent for the rest of the ride.

My lips are pressed against the glass window, just because I'm pressed so hard away from Chloe. Why? Well, I don't actually even know that. Just physically being near another person makes my skin crawl. It's like the t͝i͝m͡e̴ that flows through my veins wants me to stay away from any others. Whether that means it wants me isolated, or wants me safe. I don't know. Or maybe my time powers aren't actually sentient and I'm just overthinking it?