Chapter 22: Time

It's 9:17 am when Warren knocks on our apartment door.

It's been approximately 17 minutes since he was supposed to arrive.

It's been 10 minutes since Chloe got in the shower.

It's been 7 minutes since she got out.

I stare at the stove top clock, allowing the glowing green numbers to burn a hole in my vision. I know that the numbers displayed are merely a representation, a representation of something that no one can truly see. But I can.

I am the controller of t̴͝ì̶͡m͠e͞, I twist it, and bend it to my will. I can feel time on my skin, flowing along my flesh and weaving through my fingers. Lately, it's presence can't be ignored, I feel it all the t̴͝ì̶͡m͠e͞, I'm constantly aware of every passing second as it brushes along my body.

Many say that t̴͝ì̶͡m͠e͞ is only an illusion, that it is only something that humans use to anchor themselves to where they are and how they work. But I know this isn't true, I have a true connection with t̴͝ì̶͡m͠e͞, one that no one else could ever imagine.

This is why we're having Warren come over.

My touch with t̴͝ì̶͡m͠e͞ has been spiraling out of control, and neither Chloe and I have been able to stop it. We need more firepower to find out what is wrong with me. Not to mention that Chloe has been having problems too, regarding these strange visions. Looks like we're both messed up.

"You gonna get that?" Chloe walks past me to the door. I get thrown back into reality, and have to shake off the sticky feeling on my skin.

T̮̦̬͒ͫͮͨh̲̥̻̘̻̦̃͑͛͑͑͋ͮe̗ͭͥ̏ͬͫ͂̀ ͙̠ͫ͑̾̑̈͒͜f̛̙̩̭̼͊e̸͇̝̲̗̳̥̤ͧ̀ȩ̥̙̦̱̞͔̓l̺̳̥̼ͪ͐ī̸̤̽͑͂ͨ̍n̴̘̰͚̋́g̺̳̤̝̹̹̘̉ͧ̽͆̎ ̭̥̒͑͂ͧ̍ŏ̺̦͇̝͎̐̎͆͘ͅf̛̩͎̤̓̐ͦͩ͋́ͯ ͟ṭ̖͔̙̑̑ͅi̦̰̬͎̥̻ͭm͍̞̝͈̝͗eͥ͑.̶̪͎̫̀ͪ̽̊

"Sorry I'm here late." Warren comes in, dropping his book bag apologetically. "The car had some troubles starting up, then I had to help Nathan work the appliances in the apartment."

I feel my feet move on their own as I join the conversation. Nathan has been living with Warren for 4 days by now, Chloe and I haven't gotten any updates on the progress, I just assumed that everything was going fine.

"Oh, yeah. How is that by the way?" Chloe asks, being a better host than I always pegged her for.

Warren takes a seat on the couch, adjusting his rectangular glasses and reaches into is bag. I don't see him with those glasses very much, he usually reaches for his contacts. But I don't know why, he looks good in his glasses. He looks grown up, much more than the rest of us.

His t̴͝ì̶͡m͠e͞ is moving different than the rest of ours.

"It's... okay. I mean, it's kind of hard for us to just forget the past we've had. And I do still feel some sort of resentment for him." Warren finishes with some guilt, and my eyes focus on the injury around his eye that didn't fade away entirely. "But, I have to admit. It's nice to finally have some company in that large apartment."

I really can't imagine the feeling of having an apartment all to yourself, especially one as large as Warren's. I bet he's happy to have some company with him. Wait, did he already say that? I must have not been paying attention.

Warren pulls some sciencey things from his bag and drops them on the table. "So Max, I gather that you're having some problems with your Rewind?"