Chapter 23: Chloe on the job

Chloe felt guilty.

Like, really guilty. Her palms were sweating on the steering wheel, making it a little too slippery to drive, so Chloe gave herself a break and parked on the side of the road. She still sat there now, her forehead placed on the wheel between her hands, breathing deeply.

Chloe felt guilty.

She didn't want to leave Max, especially not after what had happened that morning with Warren. But it wasn't like Max was alone, right? She had Lena and Aei to watch her. Two girls that Chloe had known since her and Max had moved into their apartment. Someone that Chloe could definitely trust. But she still felt guilty.

After Warren left, Chloe called into Max's work for her and booked some medical leave days for Max. Sure, her earlier behavior was not idea for work. But this? Max could not afford to lose her job, not now. That's why Chloe was out alone, she needed to work double time to earn money for the both of them.

But Chloe couldn't work much longer in this condition. Her nerves were affecting her work. She had already ran a few red lights and stop signs, accidentally forgot to yield when she should have, and even got close to running someone over. This stress was hard on Chloe's job. 

However, she couldn't bring herself to throw in the towel. One or two more rides, that was all she was gonna do before the end of the day. Then maybe on the way back she can get something for Max, like camera film or some chocolate. Anything that might distract her from all the madness going on.

So, Chloe collected herself, and patiently waited by her phone until she got an alert for someone who wanted to get driven. When she started moving, Chloe started to calm down a little, she kept reminding herself that she was doing this all for Max, and that somehow kept her moving.

The call took Chloe up north to the college that was in town, to the address that she was given. It was a Friday afternoon, so no doubt the person asking for a ride was going out to get smashed. Chloe wanted to drink incredible amounts of alcohol at that point. Luckily for her, she felt the small pressure of a flask in her side pocket. If she had time before her customer knew Chloe was there, she could pour some of it into the half empty soda bottle to her side.

Not too much, though. Chloe kinda needed her car right then, and her life, too. As much as she felt like she didn't. Once reaching the college, Chloe parked across the street, making sure no one was watching before she poured some of her liquor into her Pepsi. She made sure it wasn't enough to impair her driving, but just enough to... shave the edge off.

Screwing the lid back on, Chloe shook her newly poured drink. The Pepsi was stale, a day or so old, so she didn't run the risk of making it fizz all over her car. Just one sip made her mouth water. Chloe shoved the drink in its holder with a smile.

Chloe started up the car again and pulled up right against college property, waiting for her client to arrive. She tapped her fingers on the wheel like a drum, took a few sips of her lifesaving drink and sent a check up text to Max in which she didn't respond until a girl in her ate teens approached Chloe's car.

"You my Uber?" The girl asked, she had a distinct southern accent. Definitely a foreigner. Well, so was Chloe. So she didn't really judge.

"Depends, is your name Sabrina Ells?"

"That's me."

"Get in, then."

The blonde girl got in the back, and Chloe got the drop off address she needed. Wouldn't you know it? She was going to one of the clubs. Chloe started her car and began to drive without a word. She didn't usually have chats with her customers, unless they started it, or she was having a good day. Neither of those were happening now.