Chapter 40: The Maxes

Max - ???

Wherever Chloe is right now, I just hope she's not worried about me. Despite my situation, she's all I can think about right now. It's probably because of vivid she was back on the beach, but all I want to do is cuddle her non-bloodstained body against mine.

Soon, I can. All I need to do if survive whatever challenges face me next. Unless that was the only challenge I had, and I'm stuck here forever.

No, no, Time Max said it was a 'start,' so there must be more in stock for me.

I have to take this more seriously.

The ground under my feet is solid again, I stomp down on it just to make sure. No breezes or gusts of wind to indicate any weather conditions, and of course, pure darkness.

Like the beach, I assume that I have to imagine the space around me for it to come into light, so I repeat the process. Focus, even breaths, power. There's still nothing. I do it again, then another time after that. Every time I try, I'm met with the same result. I really should have learned by this point, that no matter how many times I repeat it, something won't change just because I want it to.

Tired and defeated, I walk. The soles of my feet burn, sweat clings to my forehead. I don't know how long I've been walking since the incident, but it's been so long that pieces of it are starting to fade from my memory. I can't remember what Frank's face looks like, or the way his breath smelled when he was yelling in my face.

I do remember Chloe, the way her body shuttered as her life slowly came to an end. The way her jagged breaths came out in wheezes, despite the knife going nowhere near her lungs. How her blood got on my hands, then spread to her face when I touched it. She was covered in her own blood, and it was all my fault.

Pain shoots up from my soles to my hips with every step. My mouth feels dry. When can I just move on with this shit already? I want to get rid of everything, so maybe I can start a life for myself. A real one, with Chloe, and no nosebleeds. No having to lie for friends and neighbours about why I can't attend that special gathering, or why my nose is bleeding like a faucet.

My feet fucking hurt, and I don't think I can't take any more of this walking. How much father will I have to go until I stumble upon something? It really doesn't help that I have no idea what I'm doing in here. That asshole didn't even give me any sort of directions. Note to self, don't mindlessly chase the Time monster that possesses your brain back into the back of your consciousness, of you'll be stuck walking in a deep dark abyss for the rest of eternity.

Just thinking about the idea of never escaping, of doing this forever and ever and ever and ever, no more Chloe, no more Arcadia Bay, just me alone with literally nothing.

A tremor rocks my shoulders, and for a minute I think I'm going to cry. No matter how hard I try not to, how much I hold it in; each step of my sore feet leads me closer to me shutting down entirely. My knees buckle, my eyes well up with tears, my balance wavers. I let myself fall over.

I land on my knees, then the side of my butt, letting hot tears fall down my cheeks. I want this to be over. I want to wake up, and see Chloe again, and just lay with her for as long as humanly possible. I don't care if I'm not strong enough, I let my tears overtake my face, soaking it in my misery.

"So, what?" I try to yell, but the only evidence of my words is the stinging in my throat. "So what if I can't do this, huh? What are you going to do? Haunt me for the rest of my life?" My anger boils, and I start to claw at the solid surface beneath me. My tears are forgotten, replaced by a fire that threatens to burn me up.

When my nails start to become raw, I pound at the ground. Soon, my fists hurt, and my skin splits; blood staining my skin, but I don't care.