Epilogue (Part 2 of 6)

When I entered the country's biggest auditing firm upon passing the CPA board exam, I started from the bottom

When I entered the country's biggest auditing firm upon passing the CPA board exam, I started from the bottom. I was an audit staff for assurance local engagements. I felt like a small fish in a vast ocean. Marami kaming new hires noon. Halos lahat ay kapapasa lang din ng board exam.

Despite that, I was set to work my ass off, be good at what I do, and do nothing but that. My goal then was to become a partner in ten years. I knew I was being ambitious. Ilan lang ang nakayang mag-fast track nang gano'n. But still, I set my eyes on that.

During my first weeks in the firm, I met Reah, Bien, and Vincent. I didn't mind being all on my own but they approached me after one of our morning trainings. At first they were nothing but friendly. They asked me the usual stuff. Pangalan mo? Where did you graduate? Kailan at saan ka nag-board? Saang subject ka nahirapan sa board?

All their attention was on me for a couple of weeks because I was 'the new one’ in their group. Magkakaklase kasi sila noong college.

I mentioned I graduated earlier than them but took MBA units, causing me to delay my CPA board exam. That wasn't exactly the reason but it was easier to explain it that way than to tell them the time I was in San Vicente. But because of that, I piqued their interest more. How could I have been admitted to the MBA program without having years of work experience? With that, I had to explain JMU's Global MBA program and while I did that, I mentioned in passing some details about my college life that made them even more curious.

Questions after questions, I felt they were getting too inquisitive so I replied less and less, keeping the details I spill at minimum.

I'm not here to make friends.

Kinalaunan ay nawala na rin 'yung interes nila sa'kin. Dumadami na rin kasi ang trabaho namin. And because they quitted being too prying, I got the chance to know them better too.

Reah loved talking about herself. Even if you don't ask her, she'd volunteer the info herself. Vincent is a ball of stress. He likes ranting about work. Bien's the calmer one. Pero siya 'yung biglang magtatanong tungkol sa'kin 'pag matiwasay akong kumakain habang nagku-kwento si Reah tungkol sa weekend niya at nagra-rant si Vince tungkol sa senior niya. I guess she does that to ‘include me’ more, but really, I don't mind being on the sidelines.

“Saan kayo nagpunta ni Ynna no’ng anniv?” biglang tanong ni Vince. We’re in a coffee ship near our office. No’ng weekend kasi ay anniv ng firm at may celebration sa isang hotel. Everyone from the firm was invited but Ynna and I left early. Well, I left early and I assumed Ynna did too. “Nag-check-in kayo, ‘no?” usisa pa niya.

“Gago.”

I ended things with Ynna that night. I never crossed the line with Ynna. I didn't court her because I never had the intention of making her my girlfriend. But I had to be clear about it and ended things clean.