Chapter 29

Chapter 29
One Step

"Nasunog..." I smiled sheepishly when Paolo caught me preparing another set of onions and garlic. Medyo naluluha pa nga ako dahil sa paghihiwa ng sibuyas.

He shook his head, smiling. "Hindi ka pa rin marunog magluto?" he teased as he took the seat next to me.

"Tss! Watch, I'll saute this later!" sabi ko sa kanya. I've lived alone for years, of course I needed to know the basics. Anong akala niya, itim pa rin ang Adobo ko? Watch me, Romualde.

Humalakhak lang siya sa tabi ko. Kinuha niya iyong ilang cloves ng bawang sa sangkalan na ginagamit ko at nilagay iyon sa garlic mincer.

"Alright then, we'll see..." His eyebrow was raised as if he was in no way going to believe any bit of what I've said. Sinimaan ko na lamang siya ng tingin

"Ano..." I trailed off. "Ano, si V-Vienne?" I asked after a while, not knowing what to say after that. I should have kept mum about her but part of me wanted to know more. I didn't know what they talked about after I turned the intercom off, but he returned too soon after that.

"She just dropped by... Umalis din agad," mabilis niyang sabi.

Silence.

He cleared his throat, "Hindi pa rin tumitila 'yung ulan..." he said as he looked at the glass wall in the kitchen, suddenly changing the subject. He then lowered his gaze to meet my eyes, "Ayaw ka yata pauwiin."

Napahinto ako sa paghihiwa. And even before I could react, his lips tilted upwards and he added, "Joke."

"Titila rin 'yan..." I said dismissively.

I sautéed the onion and garlic while he was watching me, nodding his head in approval. Sabi ko naman e, I know the basics at least! Matapos iyon ay kinuha na niya sa akin ang sianse. He told me to sit down and just relax while he makes our dinner.

Pagtapos naming kumain, inusog ko 'yung pinagkainan kong plato sa kanya. Tumaas ang kilay niya. It's his condo! He should be the one to clean up!

He looked at me in disbelief. I just crossed my arms and looked at the glass wall. Malakas pa rin ang ulan.

"Should we do scavenger's hunt again?" tanong niya.

Kumunot ang noo ko. What the hell was he talking... Oh, that. That.

I shot him a look and I couldn't figure out what he was thinking exactly. Bits and pieces from the past flashed into my mind.

Six years back, when we were in San Vicente, we used to play this so called scavenger's hunt - ako at si Paolo. He would put a sticker on something and he'll hide it before I wake up. Paggising ko ay lalabas siya upang itago ko naman ang akin. After eating, whoever finds what the other has kept first wins. Kung sino naman ang matalo ay siya ang maghuhugas ng pinggan.

That's what we do back then; we kind of formulated it out of boredom. Para rin siguro hindi na namin pag-awayan kung sino ang gagawa ng gawaing-bahay.

It would have been fair, but the thing was... he always kept his 'treasure' in the same place. Tanda ko pa, it's always at the far end of the cabinet in the kitchen. That's why I always end up finding it first... and him ending up doing the dishes.

Not once did he ever change his hiding place.

I wanted to say, "Why? Would you still hide your treasure in the kitchen cabinet?" but instead I complained, "Am I not a guest here? Why do I need to win something so I won't do the chores?"

He snorted, "You're not a guest." Tumayo siya at pinagpatong ang mga plato.

I watched his back until he reached the sink. This scene was too familiar to me. Pati na rin ang paggalaw ng balikat at braso niya habang naghuhugas ng pinggan. I still wonder though, how can he still look... so manly doing that?