Chapter 27

[Update 2 of 2, 07/10]

Chapter 27
Confession

He looked at me, confusion etched in every speck of his face. "What... what w-would she do with all those?" tanong niya sabay turo sa mga naglaglagang pregnancy kit sa kanyang kotse.

I laughed hysterically. "Para saan ba ang pregnancy test kit, Paolo?" I asked him, my voice mocking. Hindi pa rin nagbabago ang timpla ng kanyang mukha. He was looking at me as if the thoughts inside his head were the most impossible things he had ever encountered.

"Si Vienne? Kay Vienne 'to? Siya ang nagpabili nito sa'yo?" naguguluhan niyang tanong.

Tumango ako nang hindi siya tinitignan sa mata.

"Why would she do that?" mahina niyang tanong. He was just looking at the steering wheel he was tightly holding. Magkasalubong ang kanyang kilay.

Ah, perhaps I have to put some sense in his head. He's probably too shocked to comprehend what had happened. So I crossed my arms, "Why are you so shocked? Ready naman na kayo, 'di ba? You're planning to get married already!"

Hindi pa rin siya kumikibo. He's still stoned with a creased forehead. I sighed, "Masama ang pakiramdam niya, Paolo. She's two weeks delayed too."

Bigla niyang inangat ang tingin niya sa akin. "Then why fucking need a fucking pregnancy test kit? There must be something fucking wrong with her uterus! Wala akong kinalaman d'yan! Why are you bringing up marriage all over again?!"

Sa unang pagkakataon ay nandiri ako kay Paolo. I shook my head, disappointed. You've changed, Trystan Paolo. I have always known you as a responsible man. Ni minsan ay hindi ko naisip na magkakaganito ka. That's your own flesh and blood and you have the audacity to deny? I realized right there that Ian and you were not the same. That he was miles and miles better than you.

But I didn't want to get involved with their issues anymore. Buhay nilang dalawa iyan. Labas na ako r'yan. So I said, "I'll drop by next time for the taste test. I think you have issues to settle with your girl--"

He slammed the steering wheel. "Of course I have issues I need to settle with you!" Hinigit niya ang braso ko upang mapaharap ako sa kanya. "Ano, lalayo ka na naman? Will you go as far as New York again? You'd leave again, telling me that I am better off without you? When will you goddamn stop running?!"

I looked at him and laughed. I was goddamn willing to fucking stop running almost an hour ago, Paolo. Pero nagising na ako sa kahibangan ko.

I was about to open his car door, ngunit pinaandar niya ang sasakyan. Hindi na ako nakipagtalo pa. Nasa ABF din naman ang sasakyan ko.

"You said Vienne's here, right?" he said when he parked his car. "Then let us all ask her why she needs a fucking pregnancy test kit!"

I got one of the boxes and threw it at him. "Get your shit together, Paolo. Responsibilidad mo—"

"Why can't you believe me?!" Hindi ko alam kung galit ba siya o nagmamakaawa. Or both. I really didn't know. "I don't know why Vienne told you she's pregnant, Aya... but believe me, that's not possi—"

"Really, Paolo, you have the nerve—"

He slammed the steering wheel again. "Yes, I have the nerve to tell that she's not pregnant, Aya! Because that's not possible!"

"Lalaki ka, babae siya. That's possible!"

"She can't be pregnant with my child because I never fucking touched her again since that night in Vente Riales... when you told me you remember how I bargained for you to stay! That you remember everything we've shared... That it fucking hurts to leave the one you love... Simula noon, I can't even kiss her longer than a smack without thinking about you! What more share the bed with her? How can I, when you're back, Aya?!"