Five

As the night goes on, I keep a conversation going with Jamie and my guards, telling them all about the new plans that I was considering doing to make sure our protection was better than how my father had it. They nod at some points, giving me their feedback when I asked, and help me solidify a plan. When I finally head out to talk to the rest of the pack, thanking them, I stop in my steps when I spot Dominic. There, hanging off of his arm talking his head off with a flirty smile on her face, was no one other than Jillian.

I stifle a growl, knowing we were supposed to pretend that there was nothing going on between us, yet the image of her had managed to piss me off. Rolling my eyes, I turn my back on them, feeling Dominic's gaze, and ask my members their personal ideas and opinions on the new protection plan that I was putting in place. After getting a basic idea, I flow through the group and keep small conversations going, thanking them for coming out, before making my way to get something to drink.

I pass by Dominic, clenching my jaw, and grab a water off of the table. I felt him next to me, refusing to meet his eyes. "Lia." I turn on my heel, ready to leave, yet he grabs my arm. "Liana."

I change my expression to come across as bored, looking up at him. "Dominic."

He gives me a small smirk. "Are you really jealous?"

I shrug. "You're welcome to flirt with whoever you want. We aren't together, are we?"

His eyes darken in annoyance, a challenge that he wasn't sure if he wanted to take or not, and pulls me to him. "Let's dance."

I let him lead me to the floor, quiet even when his hands fall to my waist and mine wrap around his neck. On the outside, we appeared how we normally did. Two best friends who always spent time together. And yet, inside of my chest, I wasn't sure if I was in the mood to cry or be pissed.

"Liana," he whispers, voice low so only I could hear. "Will you please talk to me?"

I wipe my eyes, refusing to look at him. "It really isn't that important."

He pulls me by my chin to face him, his touch gentle. It brings a whole new wave of tears that I try my best to blink away. "My girlfriend is in my arms, crying, and will not tell me why. It's pretty damn important to me."

"I knew we'd have to keep this a secret," I start, sniffling, "and yet I was so used to everyone dodging you that seeing a girl that wasn't me on your arm brought back a whole new wave of emotions. I'm not sure if I should be angry, sad, or indifferent. I started to compare her to Elizabeth and then I was worried about how you might leave and go after someone you can actually be with and show off."

He twirls me, giving me a smile, and pulls me back to his chest. "You crazy girl," he whispers in my ear. "I'm all yours. My heart was yours from the beginning."

I smile a little, resting my head on his heart. It was beating fast, a promise that his words were true, and I sigh. "I'm being a big baby, aren't I?

"No. Every time I visit you or your house, it smells like those humans. All I think about is how they see you more than I can."

"You do live about an hour and a half away from me, Dominic. I can't help that."

He sighs, twirling us fast so he can press a kiss to my neck. "You silly girl. You don't understand, do you?"

"I've never had an actual boyfriend before. What I had with Cameron was something else."

He growls in my ear. "Stepping on dangerous territory there, princess."

"Is that so?" Gaining a new sense of courage, I smirk up at him when we slow down again. "He was my technical first kiss, my first time, he was-"

He growls in my ear, fingers gripping my sides. "Do you really want to continue that?"