Prologue

Kids stand around pointing, laughing, even video taping. Everyone was staring by this point, needing to know what was going on. The humans were confused, glancing at one another, not understanding why the other kids – the ones in my pack – were smirking, enjoying a good drama filled show. I stare at him, face red with embarrassment with tears in my eyes, and a low growl comes out of my throat.

"Is that your final word on this subject, Jamie?" I ask slowly, tasting the vile words in my mouth as I hold my books tighter in the hand that wasn't clenched at my side. We study one another, waiting to see who would make the move, but I could see the battle that was going on inside of his head.

"Liana, listen," he whispers, voice warm. In his eyes, I could see the affection he held for me and the promise of a future. "We will never be, nor will I ever want to be, mates with you."

The humans don't say anything, but I can easily read their thoughts on their faces: what is a mate, and why is he being so harsh about it? I stare at my mate, my beta, and nod my head, the things I once saw in his eyes now gone. I would not force this; after all, that never made a successful Alpha. I would never make him do anything he didn't want to. Even if it meant my own heart broke in the process.

 "Fine, Jamie." As I grab my bag from the ground, I take one last look at him, walking close enough to feel the warmth that grazes my skin in a tease. "Vi pentirete mai mi respinge."