Sixteen

I smile over at my pack all gathered. None of them, other than Dominic, knew what we were gathering for. I listen to Dominic make the announcement of hunters, informing everyone to be safe and to not shift unless around the packhouse. He explains the new security measures that we will be taking along with added patrols and then ends with asking if they had questions. They knew that our pack was under threat after losing a child, and with the threat of Dominic's life, they were surprisingly serious.

"Now," I start, "we have one final announcement that Dominic and I were discussing this over the last few days. With the recent loss of our Beta, we finally came to an agreement of who will be best fit for this position."

Whispers start through the pack, all members excited to finally learn who their new Beta was, and I squeeze Dominic's hand reassuringly, letting him know with my eyes that we were making the right decision. Clearing his throat, Dominic flashes a very rare, charming smile, getting a few cheesy smiles from a few females.

"It's with our greatest pleasure that we ask Claus to step forward."

His eyes are wide, uncrossing his arms from his chest, and then walks up to us after I give him an encouraging smile. Once he's directly in front of us, both Dominic and I bow our heads. "Just so you know," I tell him after I straighten out, "you do not have to accept this position if you're not ready."

He grins and shakes his head. "I am."

Dominic, the Alpha male, stands directly in front of Claus. He speaks to him low so only they could hear, yet every now and then I could pick up little bits of their conversation. When I hand the dagger over, I see the slight fear in Claus's eyes before he smiles over at me.

"You're going to do great," I assure him.

It moves quick to not cause pain, both of us watching his hand as it begins to bleed, and Dominic does his next. He speaks low to him again, repeating a few words that my father once said to me, and then seals it. The aura around Claus began to shift almost instantly, but there was a pain in his eyes that I study. His hand shoots up to hold his head while his palm heals, the skin mending together and leaving behind a small scar.

He slowly straightens out, finally relaxing, and I grin up at him. "How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Better. Nothing some Tylenol will not fix."

We both burst out laughing and I shake my head, having him stand to my right. "Everyone, you're welcome to go. Please enjoy your day and remember to be safe."

Claus sticks to my side while everyone leaves, yet his mate lingers behind, ready to tell him congratulations. She smiles up at him, proud, and then pulls his head towards hers to give him a kiss. I keep to Dominic's side, feeling his arm snake out to wrap around my waist, and I play with his fingers as I smile.

"Eventually," he whispers, "it's going to come out that we're back together."

I giggle. "I know. We can deal with that later."

His fingers brush underneath my jaw to tilt my head up and I close my eyes as his lips press to mine. His touch is tender, gentle, and I twirl the ends of his hair that show beneath his beanie with my fingers. "I have a surprise for you."

I blink, looking up at him. "What is it?"

"Let me give Claus his surprise first."

At his name, he turns his head, arms protectively around his mates. "You call?"

Dominic grins, tugging something out of his back pocket, and then hands it over to him. "It's a two-day trip to the Bahamas. I can't express how thankful I am for what you've done for the pack the last few days. You and your mate should go enjoy yourselves as a thank you and an apology from both of us."