One

My father and I move the heavy boxes out of the truck and into the house, dropping them off into the living room before turning around to do it again. My father, the current Alpha, had yet to break a sweat yet I sat here, groaning dramatically as we drop the last box. It at least got him to smile. We gaze around the house that was now mine, smiling. Everything was stacked neatly in the corner, waiting for me to unpack, yet I was dreading the moment that would happen. For now, I would let it sit there and take everything out little bylittle.

The sun glimmers through the curtains he hung up, repeatedly telling me that safety was more important when it came to a woman being in her own house, and I pull them back to put my plants in direct sunlight until I could find another location for them.

"Thanks for the help," I tell him. We stretch our arms over our head at the same time, me pulling mine across my chest to pop my shoulders while he drops his.

"Not a problem, kid. I have to get going."

I frown. "Why? You're not going to help me unpack this mess?"

"Pack meeting," he explains, smiling. "I have to get everything set up. Dress formally, Lia."

I walk him to the door after giving him his jacket, smiling up at him. I wait until he drives back to the house to shut the door and rub my face. I had, somehow, managed to avoid Jamie nearly the entire school year minus the required pack meetings. Even then, I barely looked at him. Staring at the boxes, I groan and head upstairs,determined to change into clean clothes and get out of the house to get coffee.

I take the steps two at a time, dropping the clothes in my bedroom floor before looking through my closet. Everything seemed too flashy to wear, and instead, I settle on some shorts and a strapless shirt, tying my hair up into a bun on the top of my head. My phone rings, showing my mother's name, and I lock it before sticking both my phone and wallet into my back pocket. With a sigh, I grab my keys off the side table and lock the door behind me.

"What I wouldn't give to have a normal life."

The walk to the coffee shop was quiet and twirl my keys around my finger, humming to myself. A few pack members smile as I pass them, heads slightly bowed before they walk away. My normal barista is behind the counter, his grin contagious as I walk up to him.

"Hey, lady," he smiles, "what can I get for you? The usual?"

"Surprise me."

He types something in and grabs my debit card to pay for them. "How is the move? Are you all set up?"

Grinning, I nod. "It's great. Remind me to show you soon. When are you off?"

"Tomorrow. Do you have anything planned?"

Shaking my head, I step aside while I wait for my coffee, letting the other customers place their orders. He makes small talk while I wait, being sure to give just as much attention to his other customers, before handing them over to me. As he has done in the last two years, he writes his number on the side and I roll my eyes.

"I saved your number two years ago, Link."

He winks, turning back to the register, and I settle in my normal seat in the corner by the bookcase. While I sip on whatever he had given me, my phone rings once, then twice, before it stops. I stare at my mother's name, considering calling her back, yet her name pops up for the third time.

"How was the move?"

I frown. "Not even a hello? That must be a new record." My words were sarcastic, and I could only imagine the glare she would be giving me. "It was fine. Dad should almost be home if he isn't already. I just moved ten minutes away, if that."