Nine

I finish up the paperwork while Dominic was training the guards, seeing how well they were when it came to danger. He had told me that he was more focused on saving the children the day of the attack, unable to study my warriors. Now, with him downstairs training, I prop my head in my hands and look over to Daniel who was still standing stiff as a board.

"You can relax, you know," I tell him, smirking. "I won't tell him."

For the smallest second, he smiles. "I would, Alpha, however I have to remain ready for anything that happens."

"Come on. You can relax. Please? For me?" Reluctantly, he does so, leaning against the wall this time. I grin at him, turning back to my paperwork. "You're not much older than my dad, Daniel. You're going to send yourself into early retirement. You'll be bald before your next birthday."

He grabs his heart, dramatically pouting. "You wound me, Alpha."

"You're still so formal! I'm going to cry. I'll tell Dominic you made me cry."

His face pales until he sees my smile. "You're a mess."

"And you can call me Lia."

"You're unlike your father. You're becoming a great Alpha, Lia."

Smiling at the compliment, I finish the last touches on the paperwork and prop my head on my hand. "Tell me, Daniel. Are there anymore rumors going around about Dominic?"

"The only thing I've heard so far is someone telling the new girl, Jillian I believe, that she's sorry Dominic was taken. There were other colorful words, but I would rather not repeat that."

I hum. "What was her reply?"

"Nothing. She just walked away."

"Probably because my guards are with her." Sighing, I stand and walk to the door, him following behind me. "Thanks for letting me know. I promise your words are confidential, especially when it comes to the safety of the pack."

The two of us are quiet, only picking up conversation when pack members say hello to us. On the outside, I appear polite, smiling back at them, and yet my insides were burning with rage. Once we step outside, he looks over at me, yet all I give him is a smirk.

The annoyance I was feeling towards Jillian and her affection for my mate only grew the fire that my wolf and I were feeling, both of us ready to lunge when needed. I see her on the side, training with a few of the warriors to get stronger, and nearly growl when her eyes keep flickering over to Dominic. He was shirtless, sweat looking like little stars, and I make a direct line for him. A few of the warriors, seeing me enter, slow to a stop with their head bowed.

He finally fully looks over at me, frowning, and pushes his hair out of his face. "Lia?"

With a possessive growl, I pull him down to me, taking his lips with my own. He gives just as much back, arm wrapping around my waist, before smiling down at me. "I'm here to let out some frustration."

He smirks. "Because the new girl keeps looking over here at me?"

I growl. "Because if I don't let it out, I'm going to kill her."

He snickers, stretching his arm over his head, and I shamelessly stare at his chest and abs. "Who do you want to go against?"

"You."