Twelve

I stare at the woods in front of me, hands on my hips, watching Jamie's wolf walk around. I had refused to look at him the last two weeks, still annoyed that he had dropped his position as Beta, however I swallow my pride to hunt him down. He sees me, ears flattening, before shifting back behind a tree. I knew his wolf was in control, yet I still walk over to him, crossing my arms over his chest.

"Can we talk?" I ask.

He raises an eyebrow, dark eyes gazing at me, and shrugs. "What's there to talk about, Liana?"

"I never wanted you – Jamie – to reject me. I wanted the opposite. However, when he rejected me, I chose to move on."

"Is that supposed to make us feel better?" he growls.

"No. I just want to explain how I feel, and then I want to apologize."

His sneer slips until he's frowning. The two of us settle in silence, unsure of when to speak, and he slowly nods. "Go ahead, Liana."

I lower my head, not sure when to start. "Jamie was one of my best friends growing up. I know he and Dominic didn't get along, but he chose to put his differences aside for my sake. I will always love Jamie in his own special way. I had feelings for him until he rejected me as my mate. I mean, yeah, I totally understand the reason.

"However, he didn't explain why. He made it a big issue and he broke my heart and embarrassed me in front of so many people. I couldn't just let that go when he suddenly jumps at the chance to accept me as his mate."

The tears are in my eyes now, my lip trembling, and Jamie's wolf pulls me into his arms. "I understand, Liana."

Shaking my head, I hold onto him, sobbing. "I truly wanted to be with him. My wolf wanted to be with you. She was so upset when he rejected me – going on about how this will be a life where she can't be with the one that she loves – and I didn't know how to fix that. It broke my heart.

"I wanted nothing more than to make sure Jamie felt just how much pain I was in for the longest time. I had to hear him sleep with different girls, I had to endure the glares that females sent me, thinking it was my fault that he is the way he is. No one – not even my pack members – asked just how I was feeling. Jamie didn't understand and I felt like no one would. But Dominic, as usual, was my savior."

He tenses at the name, arms tightening around me. "I cannot fix the issues that my host has caused, Liana. I apologize for that."

Clearing my throat, I send a quick link to let Dominic know that my wolf was temporarily taking control before settling in the back, lost in my sadness. She looks up at him, both smiling when he knew who was in control, and then his lips were tender and warm against hers.

"I'm sorry," she breathes, tangling her fingers into his hair. "I wish I could fix them."

"There's no need to apologize, love. In due time will things work out the way they're meant to."

She pulls him to him again, kissing him hard, and gets the comfort out of his embrace before letting me take back over. I wipe at my eyes, feeling the pain all over again, and take a step away from Jamie. He looks at me, frowning, before pressing his palms to his eyes.

"Liana..."

I turn on my heel and walk back to the pack house, hiding my face by my hair, and continuously wipe the tears from my eyes the entire walk back to the Alpha quarters. Dominic is inside when I open the door, his eyes sad, and he holds his arms open for me. I sink into him, accepting the comfort of my mate, and cry into his chest.