Thirteen

Our talk is small after that, both of us trying to make light of the situation that we were in. When I leave the office to change and so he could get started on guarding the perimeters, I give a quick kiss goodbye while he calls Claus upstairs to wait for me. I toss off the clothes I had been wearing all day, pulling on a crop to and a skirt, and tell Claus to come in when he knocks on the door.

"You look lovely, Lia."

I smile up at him. "Did you spend time with your mate?"

He nods. "She isn't happy, but she understands completely. She would much prefer we have a safe night and the Alpha doesn't get harmed over being possessive."

I smirk. "Well, come on, then. Let's get started on our fake arrangement."

He laughs, wrapping an arm around my shoulders, and we both walk outside where Link and Eric had decorated the place. I smile wide seeing the decorations, the fairy lights bringing a soft glow to our house, and I hug both when they walk up to me.

"It looks so pretty!" I cry, squeezing hard enough that they groan.

"I'm glad you like it, Lia," Eric gasps. "It was Link's idea."

Claus clears his throat, holding out a hand. "Let's dance, Lia."

Apologizing to the guys, I take his hand, laughing when he spins me around. It gives me a clear view of Cameron talking to his Alpha, both looking over at me, and he gives me a small wave. Claus directs my view elsewhere, a loving smile on his face, and I blush when his lips hit mine.

"You're being watched," he whispers. "Best to pretend that you ended your relationship with Dominic."

I nod, giggling when he spins me again, and enjoy the night while he dances with me. I'm passed from him to Link when Claus offers to give me a drink, smiling up into my friend's eyes, and he hugs me tight. "Happy birthday, Lia. I hope everything is going good for you."

"I love it," I tell him. "Thank you so much."

"So, what happened with you and Dominic?"

I shrug. "Just some complications right now. He didn't seem to be over his dead ex-girlfriend, and so I told him it was best we wait to get together."

The lie tasted bitter in my mouth, but he accepts it none the less. He spins me until we're both dizzy, erupting into a fit of giggles, and I accidentally bump into Eric when we stop. He smiles down at me, steadying my body by holding my shoulders, and I wipe the tears from my eyes.

"Having a bit of fun, are you?" he teases. "Did you drink too much already?"

I scoff. "You wish. I bet I can drink more than you and not even get buzzed."

He lowers his face, eyes twinkling underneath the lights, and he smirks. "Is that a challenge?"

"Of course. I don't back out of those."

He chuckles in my ear, hand sliding down to my lower back, and I blush. The action left an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, but I don't push him away for the sake of image. I take a deep breath when Claus steps up to me, cup held out towards me, and I step out of Eric's arms with thanks. He looks between me and Claus before hiding the frown that I knew wanted to show.

"Well, promise me you'll dance with me later?" he asks.

"Sure, Eric. Go enjoy yourself for now."