{9} Happiness And Suprises

I hope this chapter is okay! I know I've been progressively doing worse and worse, but anyways... it's Thomesa, so like...XD.

It was the next morning and we had to go to school. I woke up at my normal time: 5:50 to get dressed, put on mascara and eat breakfast, while packing up my lunch. And I  had to be done by 7:00.
I fished through my white drawers until I  pulled out a yellow turtle-neck sweater and a black skirt. I threw that on without much effort and went to the bathroom to apply mascara. My mom didn't let me wear 'makeup' yet, but she allowed mascara.
Once I thought I looked decent, I knocked on Thomas' door and yelled at him to get moving.
"I'm coming!" He yelled.
I walked down the stairs, careful not to let my skirt ride up.
I picked up my black Under Armor backpack and tossed it on one shoulder. I glanced at the time. 6:45. I sighed. Just enough time for breakfast. I walked into the kitchen where my mom was pouring cereal into two bowls. My dad was sitting at the table, with his phone, texting someone.
He looked up at me as I entered.
"'Morning, Reese," he said as he put his phone down.
"Good morning," I said and sat down in a chair by the table.
Thomas and I met friends named Newt and Minho in third grade and they both call me 'Resa.' I wanted to tell my dad that he shouldn't call me that because it was too close to my nickname the boys gave me. My dad has always called me Reese, I've grown used to it.
"Where's Thomas?" He asked.
My mom came over and gave me my dry cereal.
"Thanks," I said.
I grabbed the milk off of the table and poured it on my corn flakes.
"He should be down. He's getting ready."
Then it hit me.
"Wait. Aren't you supposed to be at work?"
My dad usually goes in at 6:30.
"I called in late. I needed to talk to you and Thomas."
Oh no.
"Did I do something wrong? Is it my grades?! Oh no, you're right! I have an 89 in science! I'm never getting into a college-"
"Teresa, calm down!" My dad laughed.
"It's about both of you."
I started to panic again.
"Did we do something wrong? I mean, his dad nearly killed him but-"
"No, nothing bad! Wait, what?"
"Wait, you didn't know?" I asked, looking at both my mom and my dad.
"What happened to Thomas?" My dad asked, getting serious.
I looked down at my cereal.
"Thomas' father almost shot him. He fired it at him, but missed. Thomas doesn't think we should send him to jail because he's still his father."
My dad stared blankly at me. I looked up.
"We'll talk about that later. I will find him and deal with it okay? You and Thomas have nothing to worry about," he explained.
I smiled.
"Thank you."
Just then, Thomas walked in, holding his backpack.
"There he is," my mom said and walked over to hug him. Thomas hugged back.
"Thomas, we need to talk at the table," my dad said.
Thomas walked over and sat next to me.
"Is it something I did?" He panicked.
My dad chuckled.
"Why do you kids always think you're in trouble?"
My mom sat down.
"I know you don't have much time, but we needed to be clear about something," my dad started.
"We understand that you have left your house and have the right to keep you here. But we recently got a note in the mail and-"
"We have custody over you until further notice," my mom interrupted.
I looked at them in disbelief.
"Wait, really?"
My dad nodded.
"This is awesome!" Thomas explained.
My mom smiled at the both of us.
"Until your mother or father decides to sign the contract that they will take you back. But since your mom moved away, and your fathers location is unidentified, you're staying with us."
Thomas and I squealed in delight and hugged each other.
For 12 year olds, we seemed like little kids.
"I'm so happy for you," I told him, and hugged him tighter.

******************