{15} Confessions

"I hope everyone's having a positive day today! Unless you're getting tested for HIV. Then I hope you come out negative."

Once I took Thomas home, we went up to his bathroom and cleaned off his face.
It was December, so it was very cold outside. We had to walk from the school and I under dressed and only wore a blue sweater and black leggings.
As I was cleaning Thomas off, I shivered.
"Are you cold?" He asked.
"A little bit. It was my fault. I didn't expect it to be so cold today," I explained.
I finished wiping off all of the blood.
"Can I ask you something?" I told him.
"Sure," he replied.
"Why were you being so distant from me? It's like the minute you move out of my house, you stopped talking to me."
Thomas sighed.
"The day after, my dad got arrested. I couldn't handle the thought that he was gone. You tried to cheer me up, but I refused to listen. Then I got caught up in the really popular crowd and they changed me. Not in a good way."
I shivered again and rubbed my arms.
"I'm sorry for begging you to hang out with me. I was just so upset and angry that you left me. I tore up all of the pictures of us. I'm sorry."
"Teresa, you don't have to be sorry. I'm the one that needs to- are you sure you're not cold?" He interrupted his own sentence.
"I guess I am a little. But that's not what matters," I said.
"What matters is that we're okay. For a year you've been ignoring me, and not wanting to hang out, but all it took was one fight and we've solved everything."
Thomas smiled.
"Thanks, sister," He said to me.
I dropped my arms.
"Don't call me that," I told him.
He laughed a little.
"Sorry. I'm used to it."
"You've never called me that!" I laughed.
I shivered again.
"Hey. Maybe this will warm you up," he suddenly said and stepped forward.
I didn't know what he was doing until he was only an inch from my face. He leaned down and we shared a short but passionate kiss.
Warmth suddenly did spread through my whole body and I smiled against his lips.
"I should probably go home," I told him.
"Yeah," He said back.
"Are you up for a coffee at Starbucks tomorrow?" He asked.
I turned around and looked at him.
"You're such a basic white boy."
He laughed.
"But yes, I would."
And with that, I opened the door about to step outside into the cold until I felt something go around my back.
I turned my head around and Thomas was placing his big black winter jacket on me.
"To keep you warm as you walk home," he explained. I smiled at him and pulled the coat on even more without zipping it up.
"You didn't have to," I told him.
"It's what best friends do, right? We help each other," he told me.
I'm that moment I realized he did care about me. He wanted to fix the danger he's done in the past year. He's changed not just as a person, but as my best friend. And I couldn't be more grateful.
"Thank you, Tom."
He smiled and waved goodbye.

*********************