{3} Your Safe Place

I'm sorry, the video above made me cry for about 20 minutes. Yes, this video was in my other story, but for people who haven't seen this, please watch, it's not long, and make a difference in the world because people need some light in their dark, dull world. You don't know what people are living in. It doesn't matter if they're white, black, a girl, a boy, gay, straight or if they have a different religion. We're all equal. I really hope people get this message. That's all I'm saying.

One year later**

It was thundering and raining. A storm was about to come overnight. It was Friday and it was going on 10:00. I was sitting on my couch with a fluffy blanket wrapped around me, watching Stranger Things when I heard a knock at my door. I was 12 years old, so my parents trusted me to be home alone while they went out for dinner. I paused the show and got up over to the door. I looked through the peep hole and saw Thomas drenched in the rain, but it looked like he was crying. He also had a cut on his cheek.
I unlocked the door and swung it open. "Tom?" I asked. He stepped forward and embraced me really tight. He was taller than me, actually taller than all of the kids in our class. His wet clothes soaked through my shirt, but I didn't care. I hugged him tighter but then backed away. I grabbed his arm and pulled him inside. "What's wrong?" I asked, wanting to know why he was in this condition. "My mom left," he whispered. My eyes widened. He was a little boy, who just turned 12. And his mom left?
"Why?" I asked, feeling stupid.
"I-I don't know. I went to bed at 9:00, but then woke up at 9:30 to my mom and my dad yelling. I went downstairs to the kitchen and spied on them. My mom said she hated my dad. She said-" Thomas' voice broke. He started to cry some more. I put my hand on his shoulder. "It's okay," I told him.
He took a deep breath. "She said she never wanted to see him again. She called him bad things. Things I can't even say. And then she grabbed a bag full of stuff and walked out the door. I walked into the kitchen and I said 'dad?'" Thomas wiped away more tears. It was so hard to see my best friend in the whole world like this.
"You don't have to finish," I told him.
"No!" He yelled. "I need to tell you."
I flinched at his yelling. He's never yelled before. But tonight, I understand. "Okay," I whispered.
"He looked at me like he was really mad," Thomas started. His cheek was beginning to bleed really badly, and because of the rain, the blood was beginning to run.
"He yelled at me. He told me to get to my room and never come out. I asked why he was so mad, but I think that got him more angry. He picked up a butter knife and threatened to throw it at me. I thought he wouldn't. I told him 'why can't you just tell me what's wrong?' and then he threw it at me."
Thomas let some tears go down his face. I felt so bad for him. His mom left, and his dad threw a knife at him. "I ran up to my room, closed the door and cried into my pillow. I cried for a few minutes, but then I thought about you. I had to come see you. So I snuck out of the house and ran here."
I was speechless. I just didn't know what to do. Mrs. Murphy was like a mother to me. I didn't know Mr. Murphy that well because he never really visited us. Maybe he was just a bad person and that's why Mrs. Murphy left.
I hugged Thomas again, not knowing what to do. "It sounds like your dad is a jerk," I whispered into his ear. Thomas pulled away and nodded. "Come on, lets get you cleaned up," I said.

We were in the bathroom getting alcohol and bandages. "This might sting a little," I warned him. I doused a towel in alcohol and brought it to his face. He flinched and backed away. "I know, it does sting. It's almost over," I told him. He let me clean it out and I put a bandage on it. "Thank you," He said. We left the bathroom and I sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to me. He came and sat down and I put the big blanket over both of us. I moved closer to him and put on arm around his shoulder. "This is your safe place okay?" I told him. He nodded and put his head on my shoulder. The tv was still on pause, but I didn't resume it. We just sat there, and stared at Dustin's face. (If people haven't seen stranger things, you won't get that, but...oh well! XD)

After about 20 minutes, my mom and dad came home. It was 10:30.
"Teresa Agnes!" My mother scolded. "What are you doing up? You should be in bed!"
I didn't know how to explain that Thomas' mother left and his dad hit him with a knife.
"Well, I would have gone to bed a lot sooner, but Thomas came over," I explained. My dad walked up to me and noticed Thomas sleeping on my shoulder. "Why is he here?" He asked. I looked at both of my parents. "Mrs. Murphy left him and his dad," I said. "I guess Mr. Murphy was so mad, that he took it out on Thomas and he threw a knife at him. He came here, and I told him that this was his safe place."
My mom came and sat down on the couch next to me. "Mrs. Murphy left?" She asked me. I nodded. My dad still stood by Thomas. He rubbed his hair. "Poor kid," he said.
"Can he stay here?" I pleaded. My parents looked at each other. My dad nodded. Thomas was like the son he never had.
"He can. For a little while," my mom said. "I'll get in contact with Heily." Heily was Thomas' mom.
"We have a spare bedroom," my dad said. "He can sleep in there until further notice."
The spare bedroom was actually really nice. It was upstairs too, but down the hallway from my room. It was a little smaller than my room, but the walls were a beige color. There was a small desk and drawer. And the bed was just a little smaller than mine, but comfortable.
I pushed Thomas off of my shoulder and laid him on the edge of the couch. "Go to sleep, Ter," my mom said. "In the morning we can discuss all of this." I nodded and hugged my parents goodnight. But before I went up the stairs, I took a quick look at Thomas. Then I headed up to my room, buried my self in my covers and fell asleep.

*************